We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raymond, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Monteverde

I am very very excited about my upcoming trip to Costa Rica. My husband and I staying few days in Monteverde and will drive to Puerto Viejo. We are renting 4x4 car. I am wondering how should I go about booking some adventures in Monteverde. Should I do it online? or wait till I get to the place. If should I do it online what would be the best online company to choose from. I am looking for zip lines. Also. I would like to visit Arenal while staying in Monteverde. Possibly a hot spring spot and volcano hike. Would taking the taxi boat would be the best option. Thank you. Marta

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monteverde

For ziplines, I would recommend Selvatura or Sky. Personally, I prefer Selvatura as they have more cables, a Tarzan swing and a more reasonable price. You can also do other activities while you are there such as hanging bridges, reptile exhibit, etc..

You can reserve tours either way, when you arrive or online. Sometimes better deals can be found online. You rarely get a discount in person unless paying in cash. I personally do not like the idea of carrying a lot of cash around on vacation for a variety of reasons.

Though Arenal looks close on the map, it takes a few hours in each direction to get there from Monteverde. You may want to reconsider that or spend a night or two there instead. You could do the taxi boat, but it's not going to give you a lot of time in Arenal. You would end up spending the majority of your day in transit.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monteverde

I agree with explorinCA. Don't try a day trip from Monteverde to Arenal as you will spend 6 hours in transit and not much time at Arenal. To drive from Monteverde to Puerto Viejo is a very long day on the road. You can drive bqck to San Jose and then on to the Caribbean coast but the more scenic alternative is to drive to Arenal, spand the day there and either overnite in Arenal or, at the end of the day, drive on to Sarapiqui for an overnite. Its en route, you bypass the headache of driving through San Jose, and if you make a stop In Sarapiqui, there are several good choices for a rainforest hike to break up the long drive.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Monteverde

I agree with the above. The selvatura zipline is a great one. The sky trek is also good (Sky trek combines the aerial tram going up and the zipline comming down). Arenal as a day trip not really recommended if you drive it is a 4 hours drive each way, with the land boat it is 3 hours each way, therefore you would not have much time to enjoy the area. Best to overnight in Arenal to really enjoy the area.

4. Re: Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:42
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...