We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mo reverse roads

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
88 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Mo reverse roads

When do the roads around MV become unpaved, at which point? We wii be driving from Liberia to Canas on interamericana road ( route 1) then we are going to take rt 145 to route 606. route 1 is fine. We were on it yesterday. I'm worried about route 145 and route 606. We are going to stay at el establo.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mo reverse roads

From Tilaran...the roads becomes a little hard to drive...not abig deal...just have to go slow in soem areas...not abig deal...I love that section of the road...since you are going to have some incredible Guanacaste views!

Good choice El Establo!

roadadivsor

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
88 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mo reverse roads

thanks for posting. we are back home now. the roads actually were not as bad as i thought it was going to be. It was really bumpy and steep for the last 10 miles or so. The roads inside Monteverdi were actually paved.

Monte Verde was our last stop. By the time we reached there we were sort of use to the bad roads in CR. We thought the roads nears Ostional were worse. It was really bumpy for long, long distances. The road nears La Cruz (Bahias Salinas) were pretty bad too. The drive to Monte Verde was frightening to me initially not because it was bumpy but because it was so steep. Luckily my husband did all the driving.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mo reverse roads

When you say steep, do you mean because the road is along the side of mountains and the drop off is basically straight down with no barriers or do you mean the road itself is steep but has vegetation on either side.

I ask because on our recent trip through the mountains in southern British Columbia I found that I could not drive when there was nothing except air on one side of the road.

Hoping your reply is vegatation as we are going there in February.

Thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mo reverse roads

So nice to heard that you enjoyed most of your driving...I´m with 100% some people do not even know what a bad road is...even that some of the roads you drove were bad...never as some people said they are...

net-set..that is the way it is...most of the time...it is vegetation at either side of the road...only one road that I remember is like you mentioned with straight downs...but thanks God that road is closed and is not on any way around MOnteverde or Arenal...

Some people for unknown reason LOVE to scare others with our roads conditions...to me is very simple...they hate Costa Rica and like to scare people away...or they want to feel like Indiana Jones... maybe to much time and to much TV!!!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mo reverse roads

There are quite a few sections with steep drops whether you are coming from Tilaran or Sardinal. That said, it is not a big deal as long as you stay alert.

No, I am not trying to be Indiana Jones or trying to frighten anyone. Just telling it like it really is.

6. Re: Mo reverse roads

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...