We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone

Door County WI
Level Contributor
302 posts
16 reviews
Cell phone

I will need to buy a chip from a local cell provider. Is there any place in Montezuma? How about in SJO or near the airport?

8 replies to this topic
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Cell phone

You can buy a chip in many cell phone stores and kiosks (look for a frog emblem at stores that sell them). There is one at the airport but you will be spending a lot of time looking for it and they may not be open (you will walk right past one after you deplane and head for customs and immigration). If you are not in a hurry, you can get one when you get to Montezuma or as you pass through Cobano at the Gallo or Monge store or at the ICE (Kolbi phone) store (you will drive right past all of these as you head through Cobano and on to Montezuma).

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
421 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Cell phone

As Wefish suggested look for the frog. I know at the little Market on the right hand side as you head into Montezuma carries them. Make sure you bring your passport with you to purchase.

8 posts
3. Re: Cell phone

I am naive in this stuff, but I will be in this area next week and Verizon claims my iPhone will work there as if in the states for an additional $10 a day. I want to use my phone for gps and google earth as we plan on exploring on quads. Can someone tell me if this is the case, as I don't think the SIM cards are removable in the iPhone6?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Cell phone

Iphone 6 definitely can take a SIM. I have been using one in CR with Kolbi SIM for 3 years.

To use a SIM of another carrier, your phone has to be unlocked. I have heard that all Verizon iphones newer than 5 come unlocked - but you would have to verify with them.

If verizon says your phone will work, it probably will with their plan. The probably have a roaming partner. Years ago, Verizon phones would not work because they were a CDMA carrier but the newer phones are fine.

If you get a Kolbi SIM you can get 2000 mb valid for up to 30 days for 9000 colones which is less than $18.

https:/…internet-4g-prepago

If you are going off road or to remote places, you may not get a signal or may get a very poor one no matter what carrier you use.

Edited: 02 November 2017, 18:21
8 posts
5. Re: Cell phone

Thanks!!!

Beaufort, SC
Level Contributor
359 posts
148 reviews
6. Re: Cell phone

I did the Verizon plan last year it was great. Worked everywhere we went and WAZE was better than GPS. My vote it's worth it.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Cell phone

Luvgoing....Im planning on going to the Montezuma area in June and getting that Verizon plan. Did you get decent data on your phone with that? I dont need anything amazing, but to extend my trip to two weeks I need to work a couple days for a couple hours and need something moderately reliable. Thanks!

Door County WI
Level Contributor
302 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Cell phone

I just came back and ATT worked well.

Reply to: Cell phone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Montezuma
Recent Conversations