We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
29 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

My husband and I (both in our late 20's) spent a week in the Montezuma area and had an amazing time. We took the bus-ferry-taxi route from Monteverde to Paquera to Puntarenas to Montezuma.

We spent the first 4 nights at a B&B/Language School (see review of Hotel Horizontes de Montezuma)located between Cobano and Montezuma. Then the last 2 nights at the beachfront Ylang-Ylang.

We used Zuma Tours for a few of our adventures and were very pleased. We did the Isla Tortuga tour (beautiful boat ride, snorkeling, BBQ lunch on the beach, and lots of time to swim and relax). We rented an ATV for a day and spent an afternoon driving up the coast from Montezuma to Mal Pais to these gorgeous beaches. We ended up on Playa Hermosa where we watched the sunset and then headed back to Montezuma for dinner. The following morning we got up early to go to the Cabo Blanco reserve where we hiked the 2 hours to the beach for a swim and saw lots of monkeys and other wildlife along the way. We also used Zuma tours for the 1 hr Montezuma-Jaco boat taxi.

When we stayed at Ylang Ylang we spent a morning and afternoon hiking to the falls 2 hrs up the beach. Apparently 1 of 7 falls in the world that empty straight into the ocean. It was a fun and pretty, but definitely realize it takes the whole 2hrs to do it and can be very hot. We didn't make it to the other waterfalls in Montezuma which I"ve heard are very beautiful as well. I think I'd do those next time instead.

We really enjoyed just walking around Montezuma in the evenings admiring (and purchasing) the local artisans creations or catching a movie at the Sano Banano.

Food is muy importante to us when travelling and so I'll give a run down of the restaurants we tried as well. Have to say we were extremely happy with the selection! A word of warning, we are mostly vegetarians though we occasionally eat some fish or seafood and definitely did so in Montezuma.

Playa de las Artistes- amazing beach location and ocean view. we were there on a 'sushi friday' and it was delicious.

Cocolores- also a beach side restaurant with delicious food. we had the crab gnocchi and cocconut curry vegetables--incredible.

Ylang Ylang- dinner and breakfast were included with accomodations and both were well worth making a trip out there for even if you aren't a guest. huge selection including vegan and sushi menus. the happy hour from 3-5pm is also worth a stop with most drinks 2 for $6.

El Sano Banano- another excellent eatery with a chocolate volcano dessert and movies at 7:30pm every night.

Iguana Cafe- yummy fruit batidos, sandwiches that you can take to go and a perfect corner-side location for people watching

Cafe Organico- name says it all. we only had the homemade ice cream and desserts (slightly less guilt with the organic-ness and all).

Feel free to email me with any questions!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

Out off all my trips to Costa Rica I think Montezuma has the best food! I cant wait to go back!

Fort Worth Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

Thanks for the great report. We will be in Montezuma in February ... I'm printing your review and taking it with us. Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

Hello there!!!

This is Humberto from Zuma Tours. I glad you loved your stay in Montezuma. And thank you very much for your reports on our services. I work and play hard!!!

We hope to see you soon back to paradise Montezuma,

Humberto

Boston...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

Can you tell me what is the best way to get to

Montezuma?

Central...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

My husband and I will be visiting our daughter in Costa Rica during April. She has been living/working/studying in the rain forest and we are hoping to have a relaxing beach time with her. The Ylang Ylang looks great. What did you think of the accommodations? Which bungalow/ suite/etc would you recommend?

Thanks, your review was wonderful

idaho
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

Was there good snorkeling near montezuma? Is cabo blanco reserve a place you can snorkel?

London
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

I would like to also add to the dining guide above, Cafe Azucar which for us is probably the best restaurant where we ate during our stay in Costa Rica. We went there for Christmas and tha was amazing.

The restaurant is not in Montezuma but in Cobano, about 10kms away. We noticed it when we came to withdraw money there. The place looked great, with pictures from Cuba, air-conditioning and a profesional kitchen. The Christmas menu looks delicious and it was just amazing. My husband has a massive beefsteak cooked at perfection with Portobello mushroom, gorgonzola & red wine sauce and gratin dauphinois. I had a mahi mahi in a spicy chile sauce with aubergine caviar and couscous. The dessert was even more amazing, with chocolate and almond cake with homemade coffee ice cream and a panna cotta with plums marinated in rum. We were so happy, the service was friendly and very profesional for Costa Rica.

We found out talking to the owners that the chef was trained in London (where we lived!!!) at Boisdale of Belgravia which is a very very good restaurant. This French & Cuban couple decided to run away from Europe to open their own restaurant and have a different way of living.

The restaurant had regular customers since only locals and very few tourists notice this hidden gem which is a shame because these people are really making an effort to please their clients and do not ripe them off as it is the case in Montezuma or Santa Teresa.

Cafe Azucar is in the blue building on the road to Montezuma

Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

Hi-I attended a yoga retreat in Montezuma last year and will return this year. I really love it there. I stay at Los Mangos, which is across the street from Los Artistas. This year I would like to do a bit of exploring and am interested in seeing Santa Teresa and those towns up the coast. Where did you rent your ATV? How much did it cost? How are the roads? Also, how long did it take you to get to Playa Hermosa? Just need a run-down of your trip up the coast. Any suggestions, ideas, etc., would be appreciated.

I noticed you are from Denver. I lived there for 20 years before returning to NY. I still go back there to visit friends. Such a great city, and Colorado is so beautiful. I still miss it, and may end up back there one of these days.

Montezuma, Costa...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

Montezuma welcomes the world November 13 - 16, 2008!

The Second Annual Montezuma International Film Festival will be held November 13 - 16, 2008 at Sano Banano, Organico, Luz de Mono, Los Mangos, Chico's, and other great venues around the breath-taking beach side village of Montezuma, Costa Rica.

The Montezuma International Film Festival is an exciting event celebrating every genre of international, independent films during a four day span of screenings, panel-discussions, art presentations, live music, street parties, beach parties, after-parties and explorations of the amazing landscapes of Montezuma, Costa Rica.

Montezuma, Costa Rica is the perfect location for a large scale cultural event and the Montezuma International Film Festival is a great opportunity to experience the magic of Costa Rica.

Everyone in the world is invited to this unique annual event - MIFF is truly an international festival of film.

10. Re: Montezuma Trip Report & Dining Guide 12/17-12/23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Montezuma
Recent Conversations