We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town in Southern Nicoya Peninsula?

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which town in Southern Nicoya Peninsula?

We were thinking about staying in Mal Pais but i have heard that Montezuma is better...

Let me know which town for accommodations is best?

We are looking for laid back, but with options for resto's and a safe swimming beach. We enjoy snorkeling but have noticed that CR isn't the best place for it. Any rec's would help us immensely.

We'd like to stay on the beach...beach bungalow is our idea ;-)

Thanks!

Toamasina...
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town in Southern Nicoya Peninsula?

I stayed in Montezuma for three days, and also did a day trip in Mal Pais, so hopefully I can be of some service.

Montezuma - A great atmosphere, very travel friendly. Lots of excursions from this point. If you want to snorkel, go on the Tortuga Island trip which gives the opportunity for some ok snorkeling, but is an overall really fun trip to a very pretty island. Horseback riding in Montezuma is a lot of fun as well. There are a lot of stretch of beaches that are open for horses to go galloping, it can be a thrill. Also, Montezuma has maybe two nice resteraunts, one with big flat screen tv's and movies at night to wind down, good internet and nice hotels. Montezuma has a nice bar scene at night, a lot of Costa Ricans visit here for their own vacation time. The place is basically a couple of streets. The ocean is calmer, but is a bit rocky, but is definately swimmable. Mal Pais has pretty good sized waves. I don't think there are beach bungalows, in fact I'm fairly certain there isn't.

Mal Pais - Also a nice place but not quite as tourist friendly as Montezuma, more rugged, but great for surfing.

Have you considered Tamarindo?

I hope I didn't just confuse you further

Matt

USA
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town in Southern Nicoya Peninsula?

Have you checked out Samara?

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town in Southern Nicoya Peninsula?

Wait a minute!!! Without sniping at the nurse...! I can tell you that if you are young and into partying, go to Montezuma! If you want a beach, sunset, and bungalows on the beach, go to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais or just north a ways to Playa Hermosa or Playa Manzanillo de Ario. There are a few tidepools that are great and safe to snorkel in. The fish are not large, but colorful (the tidepools are nurseries), many restaurants to choose from and many, many, many places to stay from $15/night to $500/night.

Montezuma is a very busy place, has many activities very close by (it is a small area), but Mal Pais/Santa Teresa has just as much, but is spread out over a 10K. stretch of beach that you can safely be in without undertows or huge waves (actually, the beach goes on forever).

If you are driving, you can have a larger choice of accommodations and visit Montezuma for a day trip.

If you like busy, parties, and not experiencing the sunset and only having the choice of one beach, go to Montezuma.

4. Re: Which town in Southern Nicoya Peninsula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Montezuma
Recent Conversations