We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

Montana
11 posts
Save Topic
Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

Hi there,

I am thinking about staying in Montezuma for a few nights and Saint Theresa for a few nights. I know it looks close but can't seem to see how to get there. We will not have a car with us. What are our options?

Thanks!!!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

You should be able to hire a driver for not many $$ when you get to Montezuma. See any of the local excursion kiosks. I liked the one directly behind the Montezuma Hotel. Very helpful.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

You will have no problem getting a private shuttle. We used the same people who offer the high speed taxi boats to get from Santa Teresa to Montezuma. It is a beautiful drive, and not too rough.

Montana
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

Thank you so much! That's really helpful!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

If you're feeling thrifty, there are public buses to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa a few times a day from Cobano. Connect via the public bus to Cobano from Montezuma. Just follow the surfers... :-)

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

Josh, as you know I'm as big a fan of public buses as you are. However, you have to be pretty thrifty to rely on that to get between these two areas. Yes, there are 2 buses per day between Cobano and each Montezuma and Sta Teresa/Mal Pais (at 10:30AM and 2:30PM. But there are no direct buses between Montezuma and Sta Teresa and, with only 2 buses a day to/from Cobano, you might have to wait (or even overnight) to make the connection in Cobano. The other possibility that might bail you out is if you can take the "direct" bus to SJ (or Paquera) and get off in Cobano then catch the regularly scheduled local bus from there or catch the return bus from SJ as it passes through town.

I'm not sure how much the cab fare between these 2 points would be but it might be well worth the extra money to be able to travel on your own schedule and not risk getting stuck for a period of time in Cobano.

BTW, the local bus schedule info for this area is virtually non-existant on the usual CR-wide links that are normally posted here. You can find more info on local public transportation in the southern Nicoya area (as well as a lot of other good info on the area on other pages at the same site) at :

www.nicoyapeninsula.com/general/busses.html

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

Actually on 2nd thought I left out some other possibilities.

First, I doubt anyone would actually get stuck in Cobano for the night because a) the last bus from SJ passes through fairly late (sometime in the early evening) and b) you could always take a cab from Cobano. However, if you rely solely on buses you might have a few hour layover in Cobano and its probably worth it to most people to spend what little time they have in CR at the beaches rather than in a little inland town like Cobano.

However, the second thought I left out is that no one said you have to rely solely on the buses or on cabs. One could take a bus to Cobano and then hire a cab from there rather than wait around. One wouldn't save as much as if they took the bus on both legs but they'd probably save a bunch on taking the a cab the whole way and without having to waste much if any time in Cobano.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

Pro, it's actually not that bad. The Mal Pais/Cobano buses are timed for a reasonable connection (yeah, ATM time!) with the Cobano stop of the half dozen buses a day that run back and forth between Montezuma and the Paquera Ferry. There are also shared taxis that run between Montezuma and Cobano, giving you even more options. So long as you know when the two buses go to/from Mal Pais, it actually works reasonably well. And with on demand $15 taxis for the Cobano/Mal Pais leg, methinks you're not getting stuck anywhere unless you're really broke.

The local bus and shared taxi info is listed at visitcostarica.com.

8. Re: Montezuma to Saint Theresa with no car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 01:17