We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

We are two friends (not a couple) going to Osa for 2 nights. We need a place to stay. We are willing to spend up to $300 per night (give or take.)

What are the best places with the best location and views for us to stay?

Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

Wow, you're going all the way to Osa for only 2 nights? What is the rest of your itinerary? It would be really great if you could give it at least 3-4 nights! That said, we think Bosque del Cabo is amazing. Wonderful cabinas on the bluff, lots of wildlife all over the grounds and a wonderful trail system you can hike around for days. On site guides and biologist, delicious food and the best staff. Happy hour at the outdoor lounge/bar area is special too. ;) I would suggest a standard cabina to save a little money, they still have wonderful views and are great. Deluxe will cost a bit more. Keep in mind the price includes and extraordinary place and 3 meals, definitely worth the price!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

Thanks.

Actually it would have been 3 nights, but it looks like we cant make a flight to Osa from San Jose the day we arrive there. So we have to sleep over in SJ and make an early morning flight to Osa instead.

That will leave us 2 full days there. The 3rd day we will be moving on to Manuel Antonio. I dont know how we'll split that day yet.

Do you think it does not make sense to go to Osa for so short?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

Yeah, those darn late arrivals mess things up. Well, you might just save Osa for another time. 2 nights really gives you only 1 full day, which is really shorting yourself. Personally, it's one of my favorite ares, but for the pureness of the rainforest and wildlife there. If you want beaches, restaurants, shopping, nightlife and more people watching, then MA would be a better choice. Many people do an Arenal and MA combo and are happy as clams. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

I'm second guessing myself now because of course 2 nights is doable if this is something you really want to do. Do you have places you're interested in staying yet, or activities/tours you know you want to do?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

We are just beginning our research.

We plan to be in CR for 9 days. We are also planning to go to Arenal and Manuel Antonia. Do you think we would be better served to skip Osa and go to just those places (or an alternate 3rd place closer by?)

Is it worth going so far to Osa for the short time we have there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

If it were me, and wanted a little bit of many things good :) in CR, I would take a private x-fer to Arenal the day you arrive. If you stay somewhere like Iguana Lodge you can (hopefully) enjoy the lava views, relax by the pool and bar. 2nd day maybe zipline/hanging bridges/hot springs at Eco-Thermales with dinner option. 3rd day you might even fit in horseback or hike to Fortuna waterfalls before taking the last Interbus x-fer to MA, spend 3 nights there. Fly Sansa or Nature Air to Puerto Jimenez where Bosque del Cabo driver will pick you up for 45 min drive to BDC. 3 nights there, fly to SJO and flight home. That's 8 nights. If you have 9 nights I'd add it where it makes sense, depending on what activies will eat up most of your time in which area. (Does this work with your departure time for home?)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

That sounds nice and doable as well. Thanks.

Q is, does it make sense to do just a little of everything vs 2 full things? Or are we really getting a taste of it all this way?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

A lot of people would probably suggest you pick 2 places with the amount of time you have. I think you would be super happy with either choice, depends on how you like to travel. Many people don't make it to Osa due to logistics. Therefore, it remains much more untouched. It most likely won't be forever. It's tough deciding, I know! Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

Do you think we should rather extend Osa and skip Manuel Antonia? The unspoiled Osa sounds better to us, are they similar beside for amount of people?

Are there activities to do in Osa comparable to what is available in Manuel Antonio?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best place to stay in (or better than) Osa?

I forget the time of year you're going. This might help your decision too for the rain factor.

For a brief rundown of Bosque del Cabo: You are in a fairly isolated area, not within walking distance to shops, restaurants, nightlife, etc....only to nature. You are plopped in the rainforest high on a bluff with an extensive trail system. They offer a map, with details of the intensity and approx duration of the trails and you basically hike, hike, hike! There are a couple trails to the beach, it's work getting back, but you get there. There are several guided tours on-site, I recommend them all. All the guides are great and the walks/hikes are informative and fun. Prices are on their website, so you might want to go check it out for all the other tours offered as well. Also recommend the horseback riding, takes you through a riverbed, rainforest and beach. And a trip to the animal sanctuary combined with sunset mangrove kayaking or another tour since you have to go back into town for those and take a boat. The dining options are excellent, and the open air restaurant has family/community seating at dinner which is really fun for meeting people and socializing. Appetizers/happy hour at the outdoor lounge/bar area by pool before dinner, and cocktails after dinner, cards, etc are often happenings after dinner. The howlers usually wake you up at the crack of dawn, so between that and pretty active days, most people are in bed by 10:00. Animal sightings are varied, but frequent and plentiful, not just on the trails, but right on the grounds of the cabinas. One day I watched 3 troops of 3 species, howlers, spiders and capuchins. The capuchins were cracking open coconuts and throwing them down by the pool, and the spiders were on the almond trees shelling away. Very entertaining. You should see many birds including Macaws and Toucans, all 4 species of Costa Rican monkeys, peccaries, sloths, agoutis, coati mundis, anteaters, armadillos, and more, plus there was even a Puma sighting with cub just after we left.

We chose Osa over MA our first trip and I didn't regret it for a second. We're returning to BDC in April and can't wait. It's really WHAT you want to see and do that's going to determine what's best for you. It can get a little expensive in Osa, but I believe you get what you pay for. The Pizote cabina is a good standard cabina with great views and 2 double beds.

Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula