We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

corcovado exploration

bucks county PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
corcovado exploration

we are going to CR in mid mar & will be staying at Bosque Del Cabo & want to visit Corcovado Natl Park - any suggestions on tours? horseback riding?

Also want to go to wildlife refuge - what is the best way to arrange?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: corcovado exploration

There are so many extensive trails at BDC and guided walks (morning birding, nocturnal walk, primary forest), that if you're going for 3 nights you may want to consider skipping Corcovado. Many people say the wildlife is in such abundance and easier to see at BDC, that there is no need to go go Corcovado (if that's your primary reason for going).

There is a nice horseback ride you can take through BDC, it's about a 15 min drive away and not too expensive. You ride through a river bed, rainforest and beach. It's very nice.

They can also arrange a trip to the wildlife refuge. The boat ride itself is a little spendy, I think around $120. We combined this with another tour to save costs. The wildlife sanctuary is great though and we're going to visit again during our trip in April. That tour requires a trip back into town on the 45 min bumpy road. If you can arrange this tour the day you arrive or depart, it will save you that extra round trip drive. Or, you could meet new friends at BDC that you could split the cost of the boat ride with, that's what we did.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: corcovado exploration

I agree with travelicious (hi ya!), it's been said there is just as much to see at BdC (maybe more!) than at the park that unless you were there for a long time it's really not worth the time (1 hour each way to get there plus 1 hour beach walk each way to get to the park proper) & costs. There are so many trails at BdC I've stayed 6 nights and only left the property once - to go horse back riding. The horse back is really fun, it is with Miguel who loves not far from BdC and is really an interesting guy (keep in mind he speaks very little english so if you or someone in your party does, it will very much help).

The refuge as described is a wonderful place, hopefully you'll get to see my favourite ( and I'm sure many other peoples) Lulu the howler monkey. It's a lovely ride across the Golfo too. Here is their website - if you scroll down to the bottom to 'new arrivals' you can see the latest animals they have saved - http://www.osawildlife.org/index.html Bosque will arrange everything for you, any tours etc when you arrive. Have fun!

travelicious - you're going in April right? May here. What are the odds we both get to see a puma? ;)

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: corcovado exploration

We're going to the Osa in February and also staying at Bosque del Cabo. I was very interested in seeing Corcovado and did some research about day trips to the park and, in short, I've been convinced (almost, anyway) that it probably isn't worth the time and cost to go from BdC for just a day.

The tour that most places in Puerto Jimenez offer is a taxi ride to Carate and a hike into the park via the La Leona entrance/station. The taxi ride and the hike to the entrance are significant so, although you get to see Corcovado, what you see is only a small corner of the park. Prices seem to run about $100 per person.

There is an option to charter a flight or boat into the Sirena station (about 12 miles from La Leona.) Both the boat and flight run about $300-350 each way. There may be organized boat tours available but the flights are all private charters.

For the other two stations, Los Patos and San Pedrillo, there really isn't a way to get there from BdC with just one day. (Although I suppose you could fly to Drake Bay from Puerto Jimenez to get to San Pedrillo.)

I've been told by BdC and by others that the hiking and wildlife at BdC is just as good as Corcovado but I have to admit that I still really want to hike the park. For me though, this will probably be another trip where I plan for a few backcountry nights within the park.

By the way, the outfitter that many people have recommended is Mike Boston's company ("Osa Aventura") and their website has a good description of the park's trails and logistics:

osaaventura.com/tailormadeitinerary2.php#6

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: corcovado exploration

Honestly, if you had more than 3 nights (like double that) to spend it might make more sense to do that Corcovado hike. But with less time, there is just so much that is worthwhile right at BDC. I would still like to do the Corcovado hike one day...

Midori -- I checked out the new arrivals last night. They sure do have some cuties! Yep, I'll be at BDC April 1-7, but I MIGHT do a "just me" trip next year. ;) Do you know if Maureen is coming back?

5. Re: corcovado exploration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 22:18