We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will 10 Nights in Osa be too Much??

Staten Island
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Will 10 Nights in Osa be too Much??

Hi,

I have rearranged my Costa Rica trip too many times to mention. This is the latest greatest:

4 night at the Peace lodge then off to Osa.

4 nights at Bosque del Cabo.

6 nights at Lapa Rios.

I am a wildlife nut, so my thinking is/was to spend as much time in a truly amazing wildlife area.

Please provide your opinions, my feelings won't get hurt :-)

Thanks

Chris

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will 10 Nights in Osa be too Much??

OK but only because you promised your feelings would not get hurt. I think 4 nights at the Peace Lodge is nuts. Its a beautiful setting. We enjoyed our overnight there and would encourage people to visit (and stay overnight if they can afford it) but the wildlife there is either caged (the butterfly house) or there only because the LaPaz waterfall gardens provides ample food. It is not really an accurate representation of a rainforest. If I were you I'd spend 1 or 2 nights here and then head down the road to Sarapiqui (1 hour away) and stay at La Selva run byt eh Organization of Tropical Studies where you can meet actual researchers. The facilities are fairly spartan so if you'd like something a little nicer you could stay nearby at Selva Verde and do guided hikes at La Selva. Another option if you're willing to rough it is to substitute a 2 night stay at Rara Avis for La Selva. Same general area but much more difficult to get to and you have to hike in, but certainly a remote and amazing rainforest experience.

Second while the Osa is amazing, I see no point in staying at 2 resorts within 5 miles of each other on the tip of the Osa peninsula (except that you'll then become the tripadvisor expert on the advantages and disadvantages of these 2 great properties). Bosque del Cabo would be my choice because they have a more extensive trail system. You might want to combine 5-6 nights at Bosque del Cabo with a stay on the other side of the Golfo Dulce at Play Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge (playanicuesa.com/eco-adventure-lodge/exotic-…) or the Esquinas Rainforest Lodge (http://www.esquinaslodge.com/wildlife.html) both of which are near another amazing national park Piedras Blancas and which are likely to expose you to a wider range of birds and critters than spending 10 days essentially in 1 corner of the Osa.

Of course if luxury is high on your list of priorities as well as wildlife you may have made the best choice.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will 10 Nights in Osa be too Much??

Yes, I think too much! Peace Lodge is great for 2 nights max - that will give you more than time to explore the entire property and relax in the wonderful rooms but 4 is really pushing it IMO. Bosque has a very extensive trail set-up that you can walk to your hearts content, not to mention the incredible amount of wildlife there. Also, as Bosque and Lapa Rios are right next door to each other (relatively speaking) I would do 5 nights at Bosque, maybe 2 at a place like Yellow Coco or Iguana Lodge if you want some beach time (both are not far outside Puerto Jimenez) then another 3 or 4 nights at a place like Arenal, where the scenery is wonderful and many activities to keep you busy.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will 10 Nights in Osa be too Much??

I'm in complete agreement with the others. 4 nights is way too long at PL. I'm not a hotel hopper, it's just too much time there. A nice option would be 4 nights Arenal, 2 nights PL, 4 nights BDC and 4 nights LR, or substitute Iguana Lodge in Osa for some beachtime instead of Arenal. But, it would be nice to include Arenal for a little variety. Those Osa lodges, as wonderful as they are, allow you no freedom to wander shops, restaurants, people watch, etc.

4. Re: Will 10 Nights in Osa be too Much??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 02:16