We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

New York
11 posts
Save Topic
Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

Hi All,

Where is the best place to stay to gain access to Corcovado national park on a daily basis?

I'm looking to spend several day's in and around the park, but from what I've read so far it's not easy gaining access to the park.

Any suggestions would be a huge help :-)

Mentioned in this post
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

Luna Lodge in Carate can be a good place to start daily expeditions into the park...

Bosque del Cabo is a kind of far from the park entrance and overpriced!

Luis Road Advisors.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Mentioned in this post
Luna Lodge
Luna Lodge
345 Reviews
Carate, Costa Rica
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

Assuming you want the Carate area, I would look into Lookout Inn, not fancy but close to the park.

Just a mention though, Bosque del Cabo is a fantastic place where it's probable you will see more wildlife than in the park and have fantastic accomodations & food while doing so. Read the reviews from the people who have actually stayed there, there is a reason so many people go back there year after year.

Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

roadadvisor -- I think you need to check your facts. First of all, BDC is in no way overprices and offers much more over Luna Lodge at only $10/pp more for the cabina rate. Another hotel you consistently recommend is Iguana Lodge, while may be nice, is $240 a night for the "standard room" would have me choosing BDC in a heartbeen even for the extra $100/night. It's outstanding staff, meals included, outdoor showers, location, wildlife encounters, trail system, etc., will keep me going back.

You get what you pay for, and then some at BDC.

Mentioned in this post
Luna Lodge
Luna Lodge
345 Reviews
Carate, Costa Rica
Iguana Lodge
Iguana Lodge
455 Reviews
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

I never reccomend any place but Luna Lodge...never did Iguana place since I never stay there...and another amizing fact...how can be possible that is more wild life in Bosque del Cabo than in the entiry Corcovado National Park...??

I own a farm in Drakes Bay...I have a lot of wild life in my farm...but never as the Corcovado Park...

I am not fanatic of any place around there...I just like to give people my advice...

When I beleive somenthing is overprice I said so...

Luis Road Advisors

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise

Mentioned in this post
Luna Lodge
Luna Lodge
345 Reviews
Carate, Costa Rica
Iguana Lodge
Iguana Lodge
455 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
1,049 Reviews
Carate, Costa Rica
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

Can you please be so kind and tell me when did I recomended Iguana Lodge, I thing you are confusing me with somebody else.

Thank you, Luis

Mentioned in this post
Iguana Lodge
Iguana Lodge
455 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

Sorry one other thing...my facts are OK like they have been in my 55 years in my country... I do not have to check them at all...Muchas gracias!

Luis

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

The facts are that Bosque del Cabo is the No #1 hotel in the area for a reason and has a very high amount of repeat guests.

The facts area also that - unlike any other lodge in the area - Bosque owns over 1,000 acres of land with fully maintained trails that guests are free to wander on whenever they choose, as much as they choose - making it a prime wildlife viewing area in the Osa corridor that many compare to the Nat'l Park itself; with sightings of puma, ocelots, tapirs, boas et al. Compared to what you get in return, the costs at Bosque are very well spent.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

OK travelicious and roadadvisor you got to calm down a little or we'll have to call a timeout. Whether Bosque del Cabo is worth the dollars they charge is clearly a matter of opinion and Luis is entitled to his even if many posters on this site disagree. It is true that Bosque del Cabo's double accomodations start at $175 in high season and $140 in low season. Luna Lodge is only slightly less expensive for bungalows but also offers rooms starting at $125pp in a double($100 low season) and tented sites starting at $85 pp ($75 low season). For some visitors this may make the difference between having to skip a visit to the Osa peninsula and being able to enjoy it or it might make it possible to stay a few extra days. None of which is meant to suggest that Bosque del Cabo is not a good value for those that can afford it.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Luna Lodge
Luna Lodge
345 Reviews
Carate, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
346 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

This is not a productive conversation . . . both places rate excellent IMHO compared with accommodation everywhere in CR . . . visited both last week . . . you can't go wrong with either. No worries.

Berni

A Resident

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel to enter Corcovado

My apologies, roadadvisor, I meant to say Lost Iguana, as a somewhat higher end hotel that you recommend. But it's not comparing apples to apples and I don't care to bicker. crfan's right, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Sorry foster -- hope you get more useful posts!

Mentioned in this post
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
1,589 Reviews
Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica