We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

Georgia
Level Contributor
672 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

Hi everyone,

We will be staying several days at BDC in March. We can't wait to explore their trails and enjoy hanging out with the wildlife right on the grounds. Do any of you have "favorite" trails there? Which one(s) are best for potentially spotting wildlife? Are some more rugged than others? I've read the limited info on their website that names each trail, etc.-- but I'm hungry for more detailed info!!! We will be arriving there around dinnertime, and we want to (literally) "hit the ground running" early the next morning.

Thanks

p.s. on a different note, how do you handle the tipping there? I know there are different ways to do it. Can/should we plan to just leave one tip at the end, and tell them how to divide it up? How much do you typically tip, per day (total)?

We want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

If you haven't already, you might want to go over to the Fodor's talk site -- that's where most of the BdC conversations happen (when it's working, that is -- the website's been a little spotty the last couple days).

www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=6

Georgia
Level Contributor
672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

Thanks, plumboy. I did go over there already and eavesdrop on a few conversations about BDC... but didn't have the nerve to post....for some reason it seems like more of an "exclusive" club over there!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

georgia,

Some of the BDC regulars also post here - travelicious and midori will be helpful.

Good Luck

pura vida

raquel

Georgia
Level Contributor
672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

Great. Thanks, Raquel. I figured as much. I'll look forward to hearing from some of them. And maybe I'll try not to be so goofy and actually post a question over on Fodor's too ;-)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

Yeah, post a question! People love to help out. You could also do a search over there using my username -- plumboy over there also. I asked the same question about trails and got some great answers. In fact, let me copy and paste the responses (I'm keeping a little document for when we go in March).

I also have the same question about tipping but was too embarrassed to post it publicly -- I'm glad you did! Let me know if you find out anything.

Here's what I got about the trails -- from various posts (I hope it's okay that I'm reproducing these without permission -- please don't sue me!):

Bosque del Cabo – trails recommendations

We were able to check out most of the trails and really enjoyed them all. You'll get a map and description of each one when you check in so that should help you decide.

I would recommend you check out the Tropical Garden for sure.

We really liked the Creek, Titi, and Pacific Trails.

The Golfo Dulce trail is nice as well, but quite lengthy, so whether or not you have time for that one may depend on what other activities you have planned for your stay.

We did a neat tour with Phillip that was called the Primary Forest tour; it's a great introduction to things. He takes you on the Zapatero trail and discusses all the plants and wildlife and how they interact - great first day activity

We also did Early Morning Birding with Carlos; my husband was dying to see a toucan, and we hadn't seen any, so he found one for us, and we were thrilled. Also saw tons of macaws, parakeets, and other great birds.

The Titi trail seems to have some of the bigger wildlife sightings. Even puma sightings recently which is really exciting.

Try to do the pre-dinner hike one night, especially of you like frogs, bats and snakes! Only an hour and lots of info.

We loved both the Gulfo Dulce trail and the Pacific trails. For the Gulfo trail, I'd recommend making arrangements to be picked up at the "white gate" at the end of the afternoon. For the Pacific trail, plan on hiking to the waterfall -- we thought it was worth it. Much easier in water shoes (instead of hiking shoes) since you'll be walking in the creek bed.

Oh, and a nice early morning walk is simply down BdC's driveway. I was surrounded by blue morpho butterflies... it was magical!

My husband and I did the Pacific trail twice, the first time we went to the right (when facing the ocean) at the bottom of the trail and visited the waterfall. The second time we went to the left, and spent time in the tide pools, and found this cool rock archway. Even though the waterfall was neat, we thought the other direction was more fun, and gave us more time to explore on the beach, rather than all of the walking along the hot beach.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

I'm not a BdC 'regular' but have been there once, and am going back in March. I think we determined in an earlier post that we won't be there at the same time.

Plumboy did a great job of highlighting the posts about the trails. I will just add that I think the Titi trail is the best for wildlife spotting, and it is a fairly short and easy trail. The Zapatero is kind of mysterious feeling (we didn't do the guided walk), and has a lot of up and down hiking. The Creek trail is really fun if you walk down the riverbed - the footing can be a little tricky at times. Hanging out on the grounds and walking down the driveway can also result in great wildlife sightings, as well as a walk to the Tropical Garden.

We left one tip at the end, and we wrote down how we wanted it divided. We just tried to think of how much each day for each service seemed fair. I want to say that for a 6 night stay, we left $120 in tips.

Regarding Fodors, don't be afraid to post! They are the nicest bunch of people. Yes, you will see a lot of the same names, but they know their stuff, and love to help.

Georgia
Level Contributor
672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

Thanks so much to you both! This info is so useful.

I have a feeling we'll want to explore all the trails we have time for (probably won't do any of the "extra" trips-- sighting wildlife is our only real goal (and having a great time relaxing!)....

Plumboy, that's a great idea-- to cut and paste, so to speak, little comments that people write about the trails. I had read one or two but didn't think to do that before.

I know you're both right about everyone on Fodor's being as helpful and kind as all the folks here on T.A. I guess I was intimidated when I saw so many of the same people writing to each other back and forth, talking about get-togethers, "reunions" etc.

But if you two include yourselves among the Fodor's users, then I'm sure I can't go wrong!

Thanks again

ps. Sonjan, I think you're right about determining that we will miss each other-- I think you'll be there the week before us. Have a great time! And save some wildlife sightings for us (not to mention happy hour drinks ;-)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
369 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

I've been to BdC twice with my husband and we've done all the trails, some of them twice. The Pacific and Titi trails are IMO a must. We saw peccaries twice on the Titi trail, plus all four types of monkeys, and tons of magical morpho butterfires. The Pacific beach is virtually deserted and it is absolutely beautiful. As the tide began to come in closer and stronger the last time we were there, we stood behind a huge rock on the beach, and let the waves explode over us. It was so great!I agree that you should go on Zapatero with Philip...you'll learn a lot. We've also done the early birding tour...see if you can do it with a smallish group, so that you can look through the telescope sooner without waiting behind a lot of other people...you'll definitely see more that way since birds do not pose for long! We also really liked the Golfo Dulce trail and yes, we got a ride back...it's long but lovely and it was nice to cool off in the gulf. I recommend hiking shoes and take along water shoes for the creek to the waterfall or for the gulf. I hope you have an amazing time...we'll be back in the Osa in March, this time Casa Bambu house rentals. Pura Vida!

Mentioned in this post
Casa Bambu Resort
Casa Bambu Resort
247 Reviews
Cabo Matapalo, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

Hi Georgia -- Don't be afraid to post on Fodors ;-) I'm one of those regulars over there too (screen name hipvirgochick).

Once you get to BDC they'll give you a several page handout that has maps for all the trails, length, intensity, what you might expect to see, etc. I'm sure they'd be happy to e-mail a copy of that to you if you request it. The primary forest walk is a great one for your first day. This really gives you a heads up on what you're seeing for the rest of your stay. Morning birding and the night walk are also great. All of these are wonderful photo opportunities for things you might not spot yourselves. The easier trails are the Titi and the one leading to the Tropical Gardens (starts out as Creek Trail) and goes over the suspension bridge. I tend to walk them frequently. The other trails offer a little more ups and downs and 2 go as far as the beaches.

If you're getting there around dinnertime know that it gets dark at 5:30. So you can explore yourselves but you might just want to get signed up for the nocturnal walk (but that is before dinner). Otherwise enjoy yourselves at the lounge, bar after dinner. And be prepared to get an early start when Howlers start their wake up calls at 4:30am. :-)

As far as tipping I leave a list at the end with Kim or Gerly at the front desk with peoples names and the amount of tip. You can include this in your check to BDC. You can also just say "kitchen staff", etc., and give them an total amount to divide up. There is a tipping guide in back of the book in the room also. Since everyone is so personal there and make great effort to meet you, learn your name and help you in any way, I try to keep tips individualized. If this seems hard to keep track of then just take lots of dollars and tip as you go. Either way is much appreciated!

Most of all, have a great time!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for Bosque del Cabo "regulars"

P.S. March should be really beautiful...and HOT. Make sure to take lots of tanks and shorts (they can also do laundry for you for minimal cost), bug spray, sun screen and bandanas. I like Keen H20's or Venice for hiking the trails and streams.