We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help/advice from BdC experts for our 1st stay

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Need help/advice from BdC experts for our 1st stay

Hi all you Bosque Del Cabo experts...

I need some advice/help for planning our 4 night stay there in March.

We will be flying to/from San Jose...

FIRST QUESTION: when should we book the flight? and is it like the US - when you book you buy and non-refundable? which airline is preferred?

SECOND QUESTION: What tours/activities if any are included?

THIRD QUESTION: we will be travelling with our almost 6 yr old so what tours/activities do you recommend? Any activities there invloving the water (Gulfo Dulce??)?

FOURTH QUESION: What "msut haves" should we make sure we take? I know you have to travel light given the weight restrictions on the small planes and we will also be travelling to Arenal 4 nts, MA 4 nts and Belize 6 nts, plus flying in/out nights in SJ.

FIFTH QUESTION: we are staying in a classic cabina - can anyone recommend a particular unit I should make a request for (I know no guarantees we'll get it but never hurts to ask)?

Any other hints or recommendations are also appreciated. Thanks.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help/advice from BdC experts for our 1st stay

www.bosquedelcabo.com is great

www.natureair.com best for me

Been there a while ago not up on the

best room but post your questions on

www.fodors.com

The fodorites LOVE BDC just had a GTG there

so for best info post there

Have a blast...

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help/advice from BdC experts for our 1st stay

Either Sansa or Nature Air is fine; we've always taken Sansa because it's located right next to the SJO airport, so it's more convenient for us.

For activities, we went to the animal sanctuary - very neat tour. You go across the Golfo Dulce by boat, and we saw dolphins. Once we got there, we got to hold baby monkeys and sloths that are being rehabilitated. We also did a primary forest tour with Phillip - we loved it, but I think it would be too long and complicated for a little one. Early morning birding with Carlos was a lot of fun; we saw toucans, scarlet macaws, and other amazing birds. You guys might like the night hike - around dinnertime you go out and see creepy crawlies like frogs, etc. I was too chicken to do it at BdC, but I did it in Monteverde, and it was a lot of fun.

Must haves include sunscreen, bug repellent, camera, binoculars, running shoes or something similar, water shoes like Keens if you're going to the beach, and lightweight clothing.

We stayed in a deluxe cabin, Tucan, but all of the cabins are good. I don't think you can go wrong. The only ones that wouldn't interest me are the garden cabins. Anything along the bluff with the ocean breeze is good.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help/advice from BdC experts for our 1st stay

Hi, ak - I meant to add have you watched the video that's posted on their website? It will give you a good idea of what to expect. It's an amazing video.

Osa Peninsula...
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help/advice from BdC experts for our 1st stay

Hi-

Question 1) book it as soon as you can confirm your plans. Tickets are NON refundable. Prices do not change so no harm in booking early

Question 2) you can choose. BDC is pretty far out there.. most folks go there so they can enjoy the hotel and its impressive grounds and relax.

Question 3) DEFINITELY visit the Animal Sanctuary. The beaches in PJ are good too for kids.

Question 4) take light weight long pants or long skirt and long sleeve shirt, hat, sun screen, bug repellant, bathing suit, camera, shorts, hiking sandals and tennis shoes, bandana

It can get kinda chilly in the evening up in the mountains.

Question 5) I do not have any suggestions on which cabina to request. All i know is that often if you book thru an agency, they can help you get the best room selection. :)

If you need any help for Arenal or Quepos, contact me via my profile, I can help with kid friendly travel too!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help/advice from BdC experts for our 1st stay

akgirl - as often said, all the cabinas are great so I hate to hesitate a specific one. That said, I've heard that Sol has a great view, especially from the shower!

You may be able to save a little money on Nature Air if you get their locos fares, they are not changeable or refundable however. Also keep in mind Nature Air leaves out of Pavas airport, which is about 20 minutes from the Int'l airport (which is where Sansa leaves from).

It's very casual at Bosque so I would suggest light, quick drying clothes, no thick cottons or jeans. A good flashlight is a must have! They have a quick laundry service too, so that may help.

Your 6 year old will probably like the Golfo Dulce trail, it's a nice hike down to the beaches - the 3rd one (last one) is the nicest for swimming. Probably the pre-dinner hike too, great way to see all kinds of stuff at night, bats, snakes, frogs etc. The Titi trail is always popular as well, I've seen all 4 types of monkeys in one hike on that trail. Also the Animal Sanctuary is a great experience, for children and adults as well, great learning experience.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Need help/advice from BdC experts for our 1st stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 05:16