We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Osa Peninsula

London, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Osa Peninsula

Hi All,

My friends and I are going to Costa Rica in August 2010. We are going to rent a car as I read is highly recommended. Nevertheless, we are planning to spend 3 days in Corcovado National Park. Where should we then leave the car? In Puerto Jimenez for example? Anywhere or should we leave it in some sort of parking lot? Also, does any one know how is the road to get from Puerto Jimenez to Drake driving-wise?

Thanks for the information!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Osa Peninsula

No road to Drake...

Go to Sierpe take the boat

there is a lot for your car there...

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Osa Peninsula

If going into the park from Puerto Jimenez, you can drive to Carate (little under 2 hours) and leave the car at the pulperia in Carate for a small fee.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Osa Peninsula

Carate you may need a 4x4...also to get to Drake...to Puerto Jimenez any car...

And yes places to park everywhere just ask locals they know better!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Osa Peninsula

I just drove there last week...and I'm going back to my farm in Drakes...I will let you know about the road into Drakes...it change some times in a week!

roadadvisor

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Osa Peninsula

How many friends are there? Are you planning to travel directly to Puerto Jimenez? Planning on stopping along the way? How much time do you have for your trip?

August can be a wet month...driving anywhere in CR can be difficult. Going to Drake Bay, Matapalo, or Carate on the Osa Peninsula can be...sometimes impossible. The reason I ask all the questions is because there are many ways to travel...

If you are considering a rental car, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Solid Rental Car. #1 They have consistantly proven to me to be a company of integrity, #2 they are the ONLY rental car company in Puerto Jimenez, If you have a problem...guess what, they are right around the corner. Of course they have offices in San Jose and other locations around the country.

Flying to the Osa is easy and relatively inexpensive if you book in advance online. If you want to see the "country," fly one way, and drive the other. Fly into Puerto Jimenez, rent a car while you are here, and drive it back to San Jose...or the opposite, Drive in with a Solid Rental Car, then fly out. Check out natureair.com or flysansa.com for flight info.

There is also the option of a shuttle van, although during our "green season" the schedule is not as regular...below is a link for more info.

anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…shuttle

I hope this info was helpful...safe travels and Pura Vida!

Capt. Chris

6. Re: Driving in Osa Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula