We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

Planning a 4 day mid January trip to Osa, and most likely Drake Bay and looking for the best beach front lodging (beaches that are swim-able with sand bottoms and less rocky and calm). So far we're evaluating the following hotels:

El remanso,

Jinetes

La Palmoa

Bosque del Cabo Lodge , Puerto Jimenez

Pirate cove

Any recommendation from people who have stayed at a nice beach front lodge/hotel would be much appreciated.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

I wouldn't consider any of these as beachfront. Probably the best beachfront of those two areas is Drake Bay Wilderness Resort which is nice because they also have a saltwater pool. However you still have to hike a bit to a better swimming area. It's pretty rocky around Drake Bay. I've stayed at BDC a few times and it's wonderful but requires a hike down to the beach.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

LA PALOMA...maybe is what you are looking for...

When I go to my farm in Drakes I stayed there some times...La Paloma and very nice decent people there running the show!

roadadvisor

Edited: 02 September 2010, 04:25
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

www.laparios.com

www.corcovado.org more about jungle

beaches are brown not white and not much anywhere

except for Cano Island

for beach head for Nicoya

www.reservaconchal.com or other nice resort property

Have fun,

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,980 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

We loved swimming in the beach at Las Caletas, Drake Bay. Great service and a lovely simple setting, lots of wildlfie but not luxurious. The lodgings is up a long stair from the beach, not right on the beachfront.

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

I have to agree with crfan that Caletas beach is a good swimable beach. Another swimable beach I can recommend in San Josecito beach at low tide. You can swim and snorkle around the reef there safely.

I spent my life growing up on these beaches, so if you have more questions, feel free to share them here.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo Diaz

Jungle Guide - Osa, Corcovado, La Amistad & So. CR

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

Thank you jaguardman...you have the same problem I have...we love even our ugly beaches...the brown and not white...(incredible..).!

Hard to know the whole area ...easy to give incorrect advice....

Thank you Ballardo...

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

I have been wanting to stay at Caletas for a long time from what I've read about it's location. Sounds terrific!

jaguardman - Where is San Josecito beach located in relation to the nearest lodge you can walk from?

Also, I think what needs to remain clear for the OP is what's beachfront, vs beach accessible, so they can decide what's most important to them.

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

San Josecito is farther south than Caletas beach.

It is a regular drop off point for boats taking tourists snorkling (but not to Caño Island). Often people come and picnic here for the day, enjoy swimming and snorkling.

One of the closest lodges is Poor Man's Paradise, about a 30 minute walk south of San Josecito beach.

From Agujitas town in Drake, you can walk to San Josecito in about 2 hours as a nice nature walk along the shore on jungle/beach trails, seeing monkeys, macaws, other birds and butterflies. You do need to know the tide schedule because crossing Rio Claro is dangerous / not passable at high tide.

9. Re: best beach front lodging in Osa and Drake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:11