We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

Hi,

I'm planning a father/son rain forest exploration trip with my son (10) in February and am wondering if 5 nights at Bosque Del Cabo on the Osa Peninsula is too long? My son is passionate about wildlife and this idea, but hasn't spent any time in the tropics. Anyone have experience visiting with kids in that age range and whether they tire of the climate/rainforest experience?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

Well my daughter that age (a few years older now) has never tired of the Osa and in fact it's her favorite area. Personally, I don't think 5 nights will be too many! 5 nights gives you 4 full days to explore all the trails including the beach hikes spending some time at the beach and waterfall and that doesn't include doing any of the optional guided hikes, pool time or chillin. The wildlife sanctuary is a great place to visit too, especially with kids and the horseback ride with Miguel is a do not miss!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

Osa Peninsula is just spectacular...I spend some of my time around there...I have two kids...6 and 8...they love it...but they are tired after 3 nights...but if your kid like wildlife..that will be a dream for him...

Remember many years ago when I first visited Osa we went there by boat, from Puntarenas...incredible...for me still maybe one of the best trips of my whole life...my family love it so much that until today we have some land around there...we just like to keep it the way it...is...some times money is not everything!

roadadvisor

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

Thank you, Travelicious and Road Advisor, I appreciate your thoughts!

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

I think that 5 nights is a really good amount of time to do some exploring.

You can spend time exploring the trails around Bosque, and also make some day excursions to the area around Matapalo and Corcovado National Park. If you both are up for a big adventure, consider taking three days/two nights to go deep into Corcovado and bunk at the Sirena Ranger Station. I think this might be a expedition your son would never forget as there is just so many animals and cool things to see there.

This sounds like such a cool father/son adventure, I know you'll have a great time.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo Diaz

Jungle Guide - Osa, Corcovado, Drake & La Amistad

http://www.facebook.com/jaguarmans.adventures

jaguardman@hotmail.com

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

It sounds like your son would be able to handle that length of time. You of course know him better than we do. I have seen some kids there that couldn't wait to get away because they didn't have all of their electronics. Other kids I have seen were having a ball looking at the wildlife, learning to surf, playing in the pool. He might get a kick out of the night hike with Philip. It is really something when he shows you the spiders and the leaf cutters at night.

I personally think it is a magical place and if I don't get there at least once a year I really miss it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

You are WELCOME...please let me know if you have any more questions!

Roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

Definitely will love it and probably want to stay longer! BDC is a playground for both kids and adults and if he's anything like my son, he'll probably be mesmerized with all the creatures that live in the forest and you'll be begging him to even put some food in his body:)

Have a great time!

Marina K Villatoro

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

If somebody can give you great advice in that part of the country...is JAGUARDMAN...costarican...local...great nature guide...and the best he is here in Costa Rica and in OSA!

roadadvisor

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

Thanks everyone. 5 nights at BdC is the plan. I have my reservation.

Now...the flights! I'm disappointed in the very limited schedule for Sansa and Nature Air flying from San Jose to PJ. I plan to take an overnight on TACA arriving SJO at 9:25 am, and the only flights to PJ on those airlines are at 3:00. Nothing in between. That's a lot of time lost that could be spent in OSA!

I have to believe there are other travelers arriving on redeyes that have the same issue....I wonder how hard it would be to find other such travelers and pool together to do a private charter? Probably way too expensive though.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights too much in Osa / Bosqe Del Cabo?

It is expensive to charter a plane SJO to Puerto Jimenez...you may contact BELL AIR and ask them if they have anything going on for that day and in that route...

roadadvisor