We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

Txfam6
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

Our family of 6 will be staying in a home in Cabo Matalpo in the middle of July. We are planning on staying overnight somewhere along the way to and from the airport. Any suggestions?

Also, what can we expect in terms of road conditions?

And I'm reading about dengue fever on the rise...are mosquitoes a big problem in the Osa area?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

The road is full of potholes and they fill then in intermittently, so that along with the green season makes the road a bit unpredictable, especially in the dips where stream crossing can seem more like river crossings. That said I've never been stuck while in a proper vehicle.

Mosquitoes love me so I wear a lot of DEET. I would just be prepared to have it on you at all times. Some people have no problems with them at all.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

For the same purpose for our own upcoming trip, we selected San Gerardo de Dota (Savegre Mountain Lodge). But that means taking the mountain route, adding appx. an hour to the drive, so may not be worth it for just a 1-night stay, and requires a flight that gets in sufficiently early to reduce worries re high-altitude fog. If driving the Costanera all the way and arriving in the morning, you probably want to look for somewhere between Quepos (Manuel Antonio area) and Ojochal. Former has many lodgings due to MA, but for the same reason likely to cost a little more for a given quality level. If you wouldn't use that opportunity to go to MA, I'd suggest continuing further south. Hacienda Baru, La Cusinga, Villas Gaia, and Lookout Inn are all attractive-looking along that stretch. If arriving later, I'd stay further north.

StormPV: You're descriping the Cabo Matapalo beach road beyond Puerto Jimenez, not the road to PJ, right?

Edited: 04 February 2011, 03:15
Txfam6
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

We planned to rent a large 4 wheel drive vehicle in san jose. Is that adequate? Is there a better way of getting there? We can't afford to fly all six of us.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. It's just that stretch between PJ and Matapalo that can be a little rough. Fun though!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

Nice size 4x4 will do it without anyproblem...I drive there most of the time a big Toyota Prado 4x4...not problem at all...from PJ to Matapalo detour is nice dusty and some gravel...from the detour can be a little more difficult but not a biggie!

You can split the trip in two...Manuel Antonio or Dominical...or just do it all at once...about 7 hours...stopping 1 hour for lunch...great ride I love it!

roadadvisor

Txfam6
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

Would it be reasonable to do the mountain route one direction and the coastal route the other direction? If so, is it best to do the mountain route on the way down to Osa or on the way back to SJO? We want to get the most out of our experience.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

It really does not make much difference...I like from San Jose to PJ by Cerro de la Muerte...in a clear morning some incredible views...you will be close to 6,000 feet high...

roadadvisor

Txfam6
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

Do you have any recommendations about car rental agencies? There are 6 of us and the youngest is 12. We want to keep our transportation costs down so we can afford to do more activities. I know we need a large 4X4, but is it better to rent from the airport? If we stayed in MA or Donimical for the first night, could be get transportation there and a cheaper rental in MA or Dominical?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

With all my respect in your case is better to rent the car in San Jose...just p-u the car at the rent a car location at Rio Segundo...most rent a cars offer a free shuttle between SJO and rental location...in that way you will avoid the high airport fee...

You get cheaper cars in SJO...any way the transfer between SJO and MA can be around $ 150.00...

roadadvisor

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Cabo Matalpo-Road Conditions in July; Also Dengue

Some relevant answers to my similar questions are at

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309281-i9074-k395…

A good answer to your latest question depends on flight times. Uou want to avoid crossing the Cerro de la Muerte high pass late in the day when the fog there is more likely to have set in. The advice I've received combined with my own research re driving times boils down to the conclusion that if you land by noon, San Gerardo de Dota as your first lodging stop is reasonable; if landing later, stop earlier/lower, like El Toucanet. Also, you want to stay close enough when returning to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight. It may be easier to meet those criteria by doing the mountain route first, but again it depends on your flight times.

Also, we went with Solid in part because it's the only agency with an office in Puerto Jimenez. Rental's in future but pleased with their price quote and responsiveness to this point.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 18:45