We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosque del Cabo

Washington, PA
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bosque del Cabo

Can you tell me if people are able to drive a 4X4 to Bosque del Cabo? It seems that alot of people fly to PJ and then get a taxi to the lodge.

Also, has anyone stayed in the cabina Sol at the Lodge?

Thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bosque del Cabo

Yes that is what most people do and the reason is because the drive from San Jose is too long, it might be over 6 hours. Yes, you can drive there on a 4x4

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,308 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bosque del Cabo

Dear Karen T

Great drive from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez...some road repairs and bridge construction...around Rincon de Osa...and Puerto Escondido...but overall from Chacarita on 34th road once you make the detour to Puerto Jimenez at the gas station...the road is in good condition all the way to Puerto Jimenez...you can drive any kind of vehicle to Puerto Jimenez...

I drive to that part of the country very often mostly to Drakes Bay to check on my farm there...and it take me around 6 hours...depending mostly on traffic and weather...but even 7 hours is possible..

From Puerto Jimenez to Bosque is about 45 minutes ride...dusty with some small creecks or muddy if is wet...but during rainy season is better to have a 4x4.

roadadisor

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bosque del Cabo

Great advice by roadadvisor! I have driven to Bosque del Cabo area (Lapa Rios) but I would deffinitivly recomend 4x4 and IMO mandatory during rainy season. I was there 1 year ago November during some big rains and had to engage 4x4 a couple of times, no big deal if you have it, just flick of a switch.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bosque del Cabo

Not a problem driving there. Many don't just because you don't leave the grounds all that much to have a car sitting there. If you do have a 4x4, you really won't need it til you pass the school and start climbing hills, there are a couple where you will definitely need the traction.

Haven't stayed in Sol but have been in it. It is only 1 cabina away from the treeline, so often lots of monkeys especially in the mornings.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bosque del Cabo

Hi midori, I had too pull a non 4x4 out of the mud on the long flat before the school about 20 min from Puerto Jimenez last year in November (granted it was very high rains). Also there was a very steep climb up and down through a small river and a river crossing before Lapa Rios. I haven't been there since then but see on the forum many now say that 4x4 is not required. Has the condition of the road and conditions of the stream and river crossings improved since? It was no big deal with 4x4 but I would not have thought it was easly driven without 4x4 year round.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bosque del Cabo

Oh I certainly wouldn't drive the road from PJ out to Matapalo without 4x4, no way. But the majority of the time you don't need to engage the 4x4 til you start climbing. The rivers can get swollen, true, so if that's the case I would engage it then to cross safely and climb out the other side. (I know the hill & river before Lapa Rios well, I stalled on it once halfway up. Heart stopping!!)

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bosque del Cabo

When I saw Roadadvisor's "but during rainy season is better to have a 4x4," my first thought was, "better ain't the half of it." Granted we were there in the rainy season (August), but I think driving a anything other than a high-clearance, 4WD or AWD there would be loony, and I'm not even sure rental companies would allow that. And I think that probably goes for dry season too. Those are some mighty steep and rocky banks to drive up, in any season. All of the above re the road beyond Puerto Jimenez. Not that the Chacarita-to-Rincon stretch would be peachy in a sedan, but it's possible.

Nome, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bosque del Cabo

Rather than driving from San Jose, you could fly to PJ and rent a 4x4 from Solid Car Rental, which is near the PJ airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,308 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bosque del Cabo

Dear Sharon...that is agreat advice...even that Solid does not have the best records of costumer satisfaction..to rent a car just to drive around Matapalo...Carate...Drakes...Puerto Jimenez...they are OK...great advice GRACIAS Sharon!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bosque del Cabo

I agree with Sharon it is so much better to fly from San Jose instead of driving for so many hours back and forward. Great idea.