We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just about finalising my trip - advice please

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Just about finalising my trip - advice please

Hi there

I'm just about to finalise my trip to Costa Rica and just wanted a last bit of advice (and thanks for previous advice).

Ideally I wanted to go to Drake Bay by boat from Sierpe but I don't think that's possible given the amount of days, so I'm going to try and get to Drake Bay from San Ramon in a day (??). The other option would be to knock off a day staying in Puerto Jimenez and stay in Sierpe a night and then get the boat, but is it worth it??

I'm also still wondering whether to stay at the Corcovado Adventure Tent Camp or Jinetes de Osa... Either will be for three nights. I like the idea of the tent camp, but some of the reviews haven't been that favourable. We're also not that bothered (well I say that now) about a trip into Corcovado NP as we'll be going to Bosque de Cabo and many people say that we'll see much the same. One of our reasons is that we're doing a weeks volunteering in San Ramon building houses and just want to go somewhere to rest and relax without cramming in too many tours and early mornings. We will however be doing the Isle de Cano trip. Any thoughts on this approach??

We are then going going to Puerto Jimenez and Bosque de Cabo each for four nights each before flying back to San Jose for our flight back home. I'm not sure which would be best though, to stay in Bosque de Cabo first or PJ?? Any thoughts on that and how easy it will be to get to each??

Kind regards and thank you :-)

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just about finalising my trip - advice please

I'd stay in PJ then BdC, to keep the dessert at the end. They're about 45 bouncy minutes apart, and schedules there start with the dawn, so it should be straightforward to return to PJ the morning of the flight.

There's plenty of good boating out of PJ, and you can explore the smaller mangrove there via tours or kayak rental, so I doubt it's worthwhile to rearrange your schedule just to boat rather than drive to Drake Bay.

Road conditions are seasonal, and you don't say here what season (but maybe did in prior posts). For the above, I'm assuming the road to DB is passable.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just about finalising my trip - advice please

If you are driving from San Ramon de Alajuela to Puerto Jimenez or Drakes Bay ...no problema it will be around 6 to 7 hours...great road all the way...

roadadv isor

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just about finalising my trip - advice please

Thank you both - that's decided then PJ first! We'll be there next April so not sure if the road will be passable then or not.

Any thoughts on where to stay in Drake Bay??

Many thanks ;-)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just about finalising my trip - advice please

I like Drake Bay Wilderness Resort in Drake Bay. They have great cash discounts (as advertised on their website) and they have a pool, which is really nice because it gets real muggy there. They have kayaks and canoes for use and you are right on the water so it's an easy in. I think there is only one other place with a pool in Drake Bay, the lux La Paloma Lodge. You SHOULD be fine in April for road conditions. Very hot and dry that time of year.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just about finalising my trip - advice please

Maybe the hottest month of the year for us...most of the time road in OK condition...but from Chacarita to Puerto Jimenez...nice road..all the way!

roadadvisor

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just about finalising my trip - advice please

Many thanks both. Drake Bay Wilderness Resort may be a bit expensive for us... No one seems to be mentioning the tent camps - is there a reason for that??

7. Re: Just about finalising my trip - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2011, 17:41
8. Re: Just about finalising my trip - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 09:21