We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

We are planning our 2nd trip to Costa Rica and this time we are going to Osa. One of our main priorities is to see scarlet macaws in the wild, with this in mind, can you recommend an area to stay where we hopefully have a good chance of seeing them?

My husband is a diver as well and wants to do one or two days, not necessarily in the same location, we don't mind splitting our time between a couple of lodges but prefer to stay in the south.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

For diving you'll want to stay in Drake Bay. Scarlet macaws are found throughout the Osa--but you're not guaranteed to see them in any one place. Carara Nat'l park up the coast is probably the best bet to see them if you're looking for a guaranteed sighting.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

I guess there are never guarantees with wildlife, but there were so many in Cabo Matapalo last August (dozens roosting daily in a single tree, where the beach road reaches the southernmost, Matapalo, beach) that I'd be really surprised if you went there and didn't see them.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

We stayed in Drake Bay for 5 days and had a flock of scarlet macaws pass through most days. I think you can enjoy the diving and the macaws with a few days at Drake Bay.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

I drive often to Manuel Antonio...and many times I see them around Tarcoles...Tarcoles beach...is a tree there at the entrance of the beach...most of the time they are there...of course by Carara...by the lookout to Jaco...close to Hermosa beach...and at hat patch of road all the way to Bejuco...

By carate beach at the netance of Corcovado...at ISEAMI lodge...many of them most of the time...

Nice little boutique hotel by Jaco...El Paso de la Lapas Hotel...a lot of them most of the time ...

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

I've been to both, Cabo Matepalo area and Drake Bay area. Saw several macaws at both areas. And yes, I think the diving is better in Drake Bay.

6. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 October 2011, 03:35
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Drake Bay Wilderness Camp is a great place otherwise you might want to also visit the Carara Park Area close to Jaco

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

Yes Drake Bay WC looks great and is a little easier on the wallet than some other places I've been exploring. Thank you for the recommendation!

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

Someplace to consider is Poormans Paradise, owned and operated by Ticos. It meets both of your objectives and probably can add a few more for you! I see scarlet Macaws each time I visit, in abundance...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

I like Drake Bay WR as well and it's spacious, with pool, and nice to be right on the water. As mentioned, easier on the wallet that some with the cash discounts they offer.