We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

I know this question has been asked before, and very recently too, but I'm looking for a more specific answer based on our needs. We're going to CR for 16 days in Apr/May and want to spend about 4 days of that on the Osa Peninsula. I'm wondering which place, DB or PJ would be best for us, based on these wants/needs:

1. I want to do some hiking in Corcovado, but my Husband broke his leg last April quite severely, needing a metal rod to be put into his bone for repair. It's been 6 months and he's still in pain/limping. A hike to Sirena with an overnight stay and hike out is therefore out of the question because it's too much, but he can do a few hours of hiking though.

2. Would like somewhere with access to swimmable beaches

3. Kayaking & Snorkelling

4. Romantic, and maybe something to do at night.

We're booked in for Drake Bay at the moment, so I'm looking to see if I've made the right choice. Also, this may be a completely stupid question, but should I be worried that we'll be bored at night if staying in Drake? We're not looking for a party, but we also don't want to be in bed at 7pm every night.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 16:51
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

You can do a day trip to Sirena from Drake Bay, or if you're feeling up to it an overnight with pick up and drop off by boat.

There are swimmable beaches--lovely and isolated--in the Drake Bay area. The most common approach is to get dropped off by boat and hike 2-3 hours back after cavorting in the surf, eating a picnic lunch etc.

There are kayaking tours available--one option is to get dropped off at San Josecito beach, walk back part of the way, catch the river kayak tour along the way, and then continue back to Drake Bay

Cano Island is one of the best snorkeling places in Costa Rica, and Drake Bay is the best place to access it.

You may see dolpins, sea turtles, and whales on the way out there. Or, you can book a separate whale/dolphin watching tour.

Things to do at night--well, there is famous Night Tour with Tracy the Bug Lady--all kinds of fascinating critters--frogs, snakes, and of course insects and spiders.

That's not very romantic for most, though.

Drake has a few places you can go to grab a beer or a meal. But, you are off the grid there, so it's not going to be party central. Very quiet, with the main attraction being getting away from the noise of civilization. Is that soothing and relaxing, or is it boring? Your mileage may vary . . .

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Hi Hughsie

Very hard to add anything else to RACANDEE answer and let me tell you he and his wife they know about our country...birds, insects..etc, etc....you name it...they know it...

Humm somebody with some even small problems hiking...I will take it easy and do not try to hike that far...is fun but also can be very hard even for the ones in great shape...just common sense...and everything is going to be fun!

Please enjoy our country as much as we do!

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Where are you thinking of staying in Drake Bay? Some very nice places there but if you are at a resort, say La Paloma or Drake Bay Wilderness Lodge, you will be (for the most part) tied to the lodge at night. But, you will most likely be having 'group dinners' with other travelers, so you can mingle with them, maybe get some games going, etc....

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Thanks for the replies, it's sounding like my original instinct to go to Drake Bay is right on the money as I can do all the activities I'm looking for there. Hopefully my Hubby's leg will be in much better shape 6 months from now and we'll be able to do some great hikes. I'm assuming I can book the types of tours Racandee mentioned through our resort, Finca Maresia when we get there?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Dear Hughsie...

You are WELCOME!!

That is great idea deal with your contact Finca Maresia...and I hope your husband will get just in the best shape...to enjoy the hikes...if not he just can seat and relax...!

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Most of your activities you can book there, but you'll need to book the night tour ahead.

If you want to do Sirena as an overnight, you'll need to get your own permit ahead of time (and pay for food if you want to eat your meals there). Not sure about day trips.

We stayed at Finca Maresia for our Sirena trip, and they were extremely helpful. We did two nights Finca Maresia, two nights Sirena, and then two more nights Finca Maresia.

One thing to note about Finca Maresia (great place!) is that it's about 2km outside of town--meaning more tranquility and rainforest sounds at night, but also meaning you have to plan trips into town with regard to transporation.

Here's a copy of our trip report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k4251…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Thanks again Racandee. I heard the night tour is a blast, but I'm a wimp who's terrified of spiders. Not sure I have the courage to go out actively seeking creepy crawlies, but we'll see, I'm thinking about it. Also, I am very familiar with your trip report & I've read it a few times and found it to be an excellent read & source of info. :)

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

You won't wind up touching any creepy crawlies, unless you volunteer.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

All great recommendations above. Two additional comments that I have are to not expect awesome snorkeling at Cano Island, it was terrible when we went in July...hardly any fish or variety, but if it is good then it will be a bonus. Also, if you really want to do the night tour with Tracy, book in advance of your trip to be sure. She was booked 4 nights straight with student tours, also in July. Otherwise enjoy your time there. It's beautiful but as you mentioned nights can be a little quiet so be sure to bring good books, early to bed and early to rise. :-)

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For us: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

We didnt' snorkel Cano Island, but heard reports ranging from fantastic (up close and personal with sharks) to mediocre. This was February, so time of year may matter. I would ask your lodge.

Costa Rica isn't known for snorkeling the way Belize, the Yucatan in Mexico, or the Bay/Hog Islands of Honduras are.

Edited: 04 November 2011, 17:01
Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula