We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

New York, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I will be traveling to the Osa Peninsula in January 2012 and staying at bosque del cabo and my wife is a little on edge and nervous about 2 things:

1) the tiny sansa air flight to puerto jiminez (turbulence, safety record)

and

2) the poisonous creatures we'll encounter on the property, trails, and possibly in our room.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the above mentioned concerns.

Thanks!!

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
247 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

We were at Bosque last April. We flew Nature Air (two engines vs. one on Sansa). On the way in and out of Puerto Jimenez it was raining cats and dogs. On the way out we had to stop in Golftio. I am a worrier, and I was in for the ride of my life, Yes, it can be rocky and you can see directly into the cockpit...tell your wife to hold her breath and she will be fine! Driving here in Atlanta is far more dangerous. At BDC the only snakes we saw were on the nitetime hike with Phillip and we we were looking for them!! There can be some ants in the outdoor shower and bathroom, but remember you are in the jungle! We always kept the shutters closed and stayed under the mosquito netting I survived and am counting the days until I can return to BDC, which I have coined "heaven on eath." Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

hola, there area as many poisonous animals as anywhere else in the world, don't worry, but if you encounter a snake or a scorpion or a jelly fissh on the beach, do not play with them,

i do not recall accidents with poisonous living creatures and tourists,

as for Sansa, enjoy the flight,

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

The Fodor's Costa Rica forum has a high concentration of Bosque del Cabo fans, many female. Ask her to sign up and post her anxieties there. She'll get a tidal wave of reassurance, and they'll be justified.

I think the stats are something like 4.6 million CR residents, 2 million annual visitors, 12 annual serious fer-de-lance bites, most of them agricultural workers.

Neither necessary nor the most practical footwear in dry season, but cheap ankle-protective rubber boots are available at the BM market in PJ; you can walk there from the airstrip or have your ride wait while you go in.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

I have taken many Sansa flights to and from SJO and P.J. and can reassure your wife that she'll manage fine. I, too, was hesitant my first time, as I am very nervous when there is turbulence. I have only had two flights that were a little bumpy...I held on to my husband, did some deep breathing, and kept telling myself that the pilots know what they're doing and would be going home to their families at the end of the day. Sansa has a great safety record.

I've been to Bosque a few times and have never encountered poisonous creatures on the grounds or in our room. When you're walking the trails, just watch where you're walking and you'll be fine. Don't go poking around logs or touching branches...just use common sense. We used our mosquito netting at night and kept the door and shutters closed. You may get a gecko in your room, but they aren't a problem at all. Enjoy your trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

Dear amah...

Do not worry about SANSA...you can even check the safety record...they are the domestic operation of TACA.com...one of the larget airlines in America continent!

About dangerous animals or speciallly snakes...do not worry most of the time they are more afraid of us ...

roadadvisor

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

Have your wife close her eyes as you fly into PJ. The airstrip is next to the cemetary and it looks like you are headed straight for it when you land.

BDC is the best and has very nice accomodations.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

I would also have her close her eyes on the flight out of San Jose. You look like you're flying right at the mountain for about 5 minutes before you elevate enough to clear it.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

thank you all very much for the feedback., all the positive comments will help ease my wifes fears. not quite sure about the last one though :)

9. Re: traveling to and staying in Osa Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 10:20