We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you were going to Osa.......

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
If you were going to Osa.......

We are having so much trouble deciding on an itinerary to Osa. Originally we were thinking about staying in Drake Bay for 3 - 4 nights,,Sirena for 2 nights and then move onto another destination for a few days. Now we're rethinking this and maybe Puerto Jimenez instead as it seems a little easier to get to. The cost of this trip is a little frightening as well and we'd like to reduce our accommodation expenses a bit too.

If you were planning to go to Osa, what would you do?

Also, we were thinking of somewhere on the Caribbean side for our 2nd destination but concerned about travel time and expense between the 2 points.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you were going to Osa.......

Well, if you fly into PJ you have more options I think, with more variety of lodges/prices. You could stay in PJ or stay in any of the lodges along the road to Carate, or stay in Carate itself, or a mix of the previous. You can also do an overnight into the park from Carate as well.

The Caribbean to the Osa leg is a slog. Possible but not cheap or easy. I tried for my upcoming May trip to make it work all in one day, and could have if I'd want to spend an add'l $200 or so. But in the end decided to take it easy and just deal with the overnight in San Jose.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you were going to Osa.......

I'd stick with your original plan and stay at Drake Bay, take a day trip to San Pedrillo and try snorkeling at Cano Island before visiting Sirena for 2 nites. Drake Bay is just as easy to get to as PJ and its easier to access Corcovado. If you fly into Drake Bay one-way and out of Palmar Sur you can add on the trip up the Sierpe River for more wildlife viewing (although we didn't see much midday). PJ may have a range of lodging options but its far from the park. Access to Corcovado from the south end via Carate is on a beach trail rather than a hike thru the rainforest. This hike can be pretty grueling at midday in the heat and full sun.

There are a range of lodging options at Drake Bay and most have packages that include 3 meals and tours. If you are only looking at high end lodges you're missing the full range of options.

If you fly back to San Jose you're looking at a 4 - 4.5 hour drive to the Caribbean side. If that's too much driving you could look at beach options flying from the Osa back to San Jose and directly on to a beach. As just 1 example, Nature Air has a 10:10 AM flight out of Palmar Sur with a change in San Jose that arrives in Tambor at 1:45. From there its a 40 minute drive to beautiful beaches in Montezuma or Santa Teresa.

If the flights are blowing the budget consider transferring from Drake Bay to Sierpe by boat and then its a short transfer by road to the beaches of Dominical and Uvita.

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you were going to Osa.......

If it were me, I would base myself in Puerto Jimenez before and after entering Corcovado. Puerto Jimenez makes a good base to launch expeditions into Corcovado as all services are available there (supermarket, hotels, banks, transportation, etc)

From Puerto Jimenez you can enter the park at Los Patos or La Leona. These are both challenging, yet rewarding 7 hour hikes through the rainforest to Sirena Station. Overnight in Sirena for 2 nights as you planned to maximize your time there.

You can fly directly to Puerto Jimenez, or take a bus from San Jose. The bus will take about 7 hours, and the flight just about an hour.

Lodging on the Osa can be costly, although there are a few places in Puerto Jimenez and Drake Bay that are under $50. Many of the lodges include all your meals in the price so be sure to compare that.

Along the Carate Road around Matapalo, there are many rental houses that are advertised online where you can cook for yourself.

If you don't want to hike into the park, then by all means stay in Drake Bay before and after as you can boat in and out of the park from there (and not from other places).

The lodging in Drake Bay is pretty expensive in my experience, Drake Bay is more expensive overall than Puerto Jimenez. This is because of several factors including transportation. If you stay outside of Aguajitas, (the main town) you may have to boat or taxi to get around, and it's not cheap. Also, food is more expensive because it is usually boated in from Sierpe. Drake Bay is beautiful but more isolated and remote.

Hope that was somewhat helpful - Pura Vida, Ballardo

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you were going to Osa.......

It depends in part on how many "we" are. I'm inferring from a prior post that it's you and your husband, who drives, and no others.

The easiest way to save $, I thik, is to avoid internal flights or avoid driving (do one or the other but not both). If you fly but don't drive, Drake Bay. If you drive but don't fly, Puerto Jimenez.

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you were going to Osa.......

Thank you for the great tips everyone! So much to think about, we want to make sure this trip is special

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you were going to Osa.......

Totally agree with crfan , Jaguardman, and Tilted and they know the area!

roadadvisor

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you were going to Osa.......

You're welcome Quincy, enjoy your trip!

8. Re: If you were going to Osa.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 10:41