We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we miss out by NOT going into Corcovado? Staying at BDC

Long Beach
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Will we miss out by NOT going into Corcovado? Staying at BDC

We are staying at the BDC for our kick off to our honeymoon. It seems like quite an ordeal to go into Corcovado from the BDC- almost impossible/ illogical for a day trip.

Will we be really missing out if we only hike the trails on the BDC property and skip out on going into Corcovado?

We have one night stay still up in the air- we thought about staying overnight in the park, but we'd have to fly out the next day to get to Papagyo.

Also interested in scuba diving at Cano and was considering heading to drake bay for our one day so we could dive, then head out the next day.

Anyone have suggestions?? Thanks!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,142 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will we miss out by NOT going into Corcovado? Staying at BDC

You will miss nothing by not doing a day trip into Corcovado from BdC; OK you will miss crossing two rivers and walking about an hour on the dark grey sand beach. AFAIK Nature Air fly SJO-DB-PJ-SJO so there is no flight from PJ to DB. Thus one day at Drake Bay is almost impossible to achieve. Also I think that flying and diving in the same day are not OK; but I do not have PADI so might be wrong.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,524 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we miss out by NOT going into Corcovado? Staying at BDC

Nice idea going to do some good diving to Caño island out of Drakes bay...

According to your info...maybe in your case getting into Corcoavdo is not going to be easy...for one day hikes...you have to drive to Carate then into the park and then back to your hotel...maybe next visit you can just spend time in Drakes and the park...

roadadivsor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we miss out by NOT going into Corcovado? Staying at BDC

My short answer would be to stick to Bosque del Cabo for your honeymoon and save Drake/Corcovado/Cano for another trip.

Long answer:

Having spent 2 nights inside Corcovado at Sirena station, and three nights at Bosque del Cabo, I would put Sirena about 1/2 notch above BdC in terms of wildlife.

But, whereas we almost saw a puma at Corcovado (smelled it and it later turned out we were within 30 feet of it, but it was sleeping/resting) we actually saw one at Bosque del Cabo.

But, we did see a tapir, two species of peccaries, a bull shark, and all four species of monkey at Corcovado.

But, for your honeymoon I would definitely stick to the comforts of Bosque del Cabo. It's hot, humid, hard work trekking around in the jungle, and it really helps to have the amenities of BdC to come back to and rejuvenate. The bunks are Sirena ranger station may be the least romantic place on earth.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we miss out by NOT going into Corcovado? Staying at BDC

I don't think you would miss anything. We stayed at BdC and saw all 4 kinds of monkeys, macaws, toucans, agoutis, coatis, sloths, and even an anteater. There have also been puma sightings.

Long Beach
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we miss out by NOT going into Corcovado? Staying at BDC

Thanks so much to all of you for your great responses! I really appreciate them!

We will probably just stick to the BDC then!

XELAS- you're right- diving and flying is not ok. We were considering driving to Drakes in the morning, doing an early afternoon dive, then leaving the next day.

Thanks again!

6. Re: Will we miss out by NOT going into Corcovado? Staying at BDC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 06:16