We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female traveling solo in February

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Female traveling solo in February

Hi All,

I know that i am cutting it very close with time, but i plan on visiting Costa Rica in February and need some advice. I am a female in my mid 30's and will be traveling solo. This will be my 4th visit and I am thinking of going to the Osa Peninsula. I will be there 4-5 days. I like to hike, surf, swim and snorkel and am open to any other adventures. I would also like to go whale watching. I know i am probably being a little vague, but does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to what area I should go to? Drake Bay, Puerto Jimenez, etc. I've been trying to do some research all day, but am now on information overload. Any advice or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Ballena Aventura
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Changing Tide Tours
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fish Drake Bay - Reel Escape
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Jacamar Drake Tours
Horseback Riding Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,358 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female traveling solo in February

In your shoes, I would go to Drake Bay. Fly in fly out. Find a nice lodge where there will be chances to meet similar minded travelers (Finca Maresia comes to my mind). Easy access for daily trip to La Sirena ranger station. Good snorkeling at Cano Island. Small place, probably gives you safer feelings then a lot busier Puerto Jimenez.

Mentioned in this post
Finca Maresia
Finca Maresia
976 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Sirena Ranger Station
Sirena Ranger Station
183 Reviews
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Cano Island
Cano Island
853 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
367 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female traveling solo in February

I just got back from a wonderful trip to Osa and highly recommend doing what Xelas suggested: fly in and out of Drake Bay.

With the exception of surfing, everything you would like to do is available in Drake Bay, It is also more remote, authentic and unspoiled than other destinations in Costa Rica.

I chose to stay at Copa de Arbol Rainforest Lodge and it was absolutely wonderful (see my hotel review for more details).

During my stay I met 2 female solo travelers (in their 30's or 40's). One from NYC and one from Philly.

Both were completely enchanted with the lodge because they take care of everything for you. You may want to read one of the reports from the female solo traveler from Philly as she gives a detailed description of what it's like to visit this area. Her user name is FiveCityDweller, the review heading is "Perfecto".

If you truly want to go surfing, the area of Uvita and Dominical would be relatively close to Drake (one hour by boat up the Sierpe, and then a 45 minute drive on the Costanera (coastal route).

On this note, I will be traveling solo to the Osa again next May. My next trip will be to spend a week at Bosque Del Cabo. This requires a fly in/out of Puerto Jimenez.

@Xelas, any ideas, comments or suggestions are welcome!

Mentioned in this post
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Uvita
Uvita
Dominical
Dominical
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
3. Re: Female traveling solo in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 06:20