We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez? Both?

North Wales...
Level Contributor
8 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez? Both?

Hello all,

I'm in the very early stages of planning my first trip to Costa Rica. My boyfriend and I are most interested in the Osa peninsula since it offers endless opportunities to see plentiful wildlife. Originally we were thinking of spending 3 nights in Drake Bay and 3 nights in Puerto Jimenez but after looking up flights in between I'm not sure if it would be economically worth it.

We definitely want to spend a day (or 2), hiking in Coscovado. We would also plan on visiting any animal sanctuaries or botanical gardens in the area. Other activities we're interested in are horse back riding, scuba diving, and whale watching.

My main question is would it be more feasible to spend our entire trip in one place? If so, which would you recommend? Otherwise is there another option to flying to get between Drake bay and Puerto Jimenez? Any input is appreciated, thank you!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,515 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez? Both?

La Sirena ranger station is in the heart of Corcovado so you should dedicate at least 2 nights there. If you are planning to hike into Corcovado, then staying in or near Puerto Jimenez is your only option. If you would need to scuba then Drake Bay is your only option. All other activities can be done from both locations. But do stay at one place only. Driving from Drake Bay to Puerto Jimenez (or vice versa) would take about half a day by car, full day if using local buses.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez? Both?

Yes it would be feasible to spend your 6 nights in 1 spot but I'd actually suggest you consider another option. I am partial to Drake Bay because it provides easy access by boat into Corcovado for hiking at Sirena and San Pedrillo ranger stations and to snorkeling and diving at Cano Island. (You can't reach Cano from Puerto Jimenez due to distance). You could spend 4 nights there and do all 3 daytrips and then relax the last 2 days or you could spend 4 nights in Drake Bay and the last 2 nites in Uvita with a horseback ride to Nauyaca or Diamante waterfalls and a vsiit to Marino Ballena National park for some beach time.

Before you make a decision be sure and check out prices for Drake Bay lodging including meals and excursions so you're sure this is not a budget buster. There are a range of prices and luxury levels available in this area but the cost of excursions means this is not really a budget destination.

North Wales...
Level Contributor
8 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez? Both?

Thank you so much for your input! I have noticed that many lodges in Drake bay are a little on the pricey side but luxurious. We've been looking into hotel Jinetes de Osa as it seems to have great reviews and packages more in our price range. Anyone have any experience staying here?

Also we would only be able to visit in May-July. Is one of these months better for any reason? I seriously appreciate the input! Thank you everyone :)

4. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez? Both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula