We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking honest advice from experts on Bosque del Cabo

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking honest advice from experts on Bosque del Cabo

I just got back from a visit to the Osa last month and I am already planning to go back. It would be my third trip. I can't deny I have an intense desire to spend more time in this area before it's too late. I've stayed in Carate and Drake Bay. Now I have my eyes set on the Puerto Jimenez area, and specifically Bosque del Cabo which I've chosen due to consistent reviews about the great opportunities for wildlife viewing in their private trails.

Here is my dilemma...I see a lot of reviews from families with young children. I always avoid staying at hotels that allow children under 15 and this is not the case at BDC.

Can anyone provide some insight on this or perhaps suggest another lodge that is geared to adults even if not as nice as BDC?

Also, how far is the beach and how long would it take to walk there and back?

Travel period would be late May for one week.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Seeking honest advice from experts on Bosque del Cabo

crazy4nature, I am trying to pick between Drake Bay, Carate area and Bosque del Cabo. It looks like you have not stayed at the last one yet? but how would you compare the first two for wildlife? I think I will enjoy Carate and BDC for the forest feel and wildlife trails, however it looks like you can only whale watch for Drake Bay? and I would love to see some whales. We are going in January next year, which looks like it would be a good time to see them. How did your experiences compare?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Seeking honest advice from experts on Bosque del Cabo

not crazy4naturel, but I've been to both Drake Bay and the Puerto Jimenez/Matapalo sides.

BdC has better wildlife/hiking than Drake Bay, but Drake Bay gives you access via boat to the Sirena Ranger station where you can overnight if you want some adventure or you can just do a day trip.

To put it in perspective, we stayed three nights at Bosque del Cabo and 2 nights at Sirena on different trips. Saw a lot more at Sirena. (4 species of monkey vs 3 at BdC, two species of peccary vs one at BdC, etc).

So, if you want whales and land mammals, I'd say Drake plus Corcovado.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Seeking honest advice from experts on Bosque del Cabo

@DanielleO,

My first visit to the Osa was in 1994 and I entered Corcovado from Carate. My second visit was December 2013 and I entered the park from Drake Bay.

As far as wildlife, it is impossible to compare because 20 years makes a great difference in this fragile environment. Back in 1994 the Osa was still a remote frontier teaming with wildlife. You could not walk more than a few steps without an animal encounter. It was incredible and I am very lucky to have experienced it.

On my second visit I saw a lot more humans and noticeably fewer animals. However, the access to Corcovado from Drake Bay was much easier and more comfortable.

If this is your first visit, I would suggest a stay in Drake Bay and do day trips from there. You will be able to access Corcovado via boat by landing at Sirena or San Pedrillo. Sirena is a longer ride from Drake but has better chances for wildlife viewing.

The good thing about Drake is that you can also do a snorkeling trip to Isla del Cano. The hiking around Drake is limited but with some luck you'll see whales at that time of the year.

Lastly, I stayed at Copa de Arbol in Drake and greatly recommend this lodge. They provide excellent service at every level, and they arrange all the excursions. Here is my link to the hotel review:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

I am planning to go to Bosque del Cabo in late May. I won't be entering Corcovado this time but I plan to do the trails in and around the property.

Good luck with your planning!

34. Re: Seeking honest advice from experts on Bosque del Cabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:19