We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

Manassas, Virginia
6 posts
Save Topic
Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

I've been dreaming of a trip to the Osa Peninsula for over 10 years and finally this summer my husband and I are going! We'll have roughly a week for our trip, maybe a little more if we can sweet talk the grandparents to watch our boys a bit longer. The only thing I'm certain on is a stay at Bosque del Cabo, its our 10th anniversary and that warrants the splurge. Here is my dilemma, I cannot make up my mind (or at least not for very long) on whether we should also spend 2 nights in Corcovado? I think I've reached the end of the internet trying to come to a decision :) Any advice? I've read that the wildlife sightings at BDC and corcovado are very similar, but how does the vegetation compare? What will we miss by spending all of our time at BDC? We're pretty fit and enjoy hiking, but will we be too exhausted from a trek into Corcovado to truly enjoy BDC? Are the trails at Corcovado actually crowded? I've seen this mentioned in a couple of threads. Any comments about tours with Mike Boston? He comes highly recommended by BDC.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

We hiked around Sirena with a guide provided by Mike Boston and spent the night in the dorms at the ranger station 2 summers ago. The guide was excellent and I would contact Mike Boston the next time we head into the park. We however took the easy way in/out and boated in from Drake Bay. The hiking around the ranger station was very muddy but not particularly difficult. Saw tons of wildlife in a short period of time. We were aware of other groups in the forest but the 2 of us and the guide were out of sight of other groups 90% of the day. I'm not sure if a dayhike into Corcovado from the LaLeona ranger station would be worth it.

The hike from Los Patos to Sirena to LaLeona with 2 nights in the park would be a great adventure but, if you only have 8 days/7 nights for the entire trip, that would only leave you 2 nights at Bosque del Cabo (+1 night either end near SJO and 1 night in Puerto Jimenez before your hike into Corcovado).

If you could stretch it to 10 days/9 nights I think it would be much more fun. With only 7-8 nights I'd stick with just Bosque del Cabo or one of the other nearby lodges.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can also fly to and from Sirena from Puerto Jimenez. That would save you a lot of time and a lot of energy. For example, you could fly to PJ from San Jose and then jump on another plane to Sirena soon after landing, saving you an overnight in PJ. Quite frankly, after my hike out of Corcovado, I was absolutely wiped the next day and didn't feel like doing much at all.

But, a Corcovado and BdC combo would be great, I think (but only if you did Corcovado first! You will need the comfort of BdC after that, believe me). I do think a stay at Sirena is entirely worth it. The concentration of wildlife at BdC is astounding and it's a very special place, but Corcovado is something else in its own right and well worth it if you have the time, in my opinion. And though I suggested the plane in and out, hiking out of Corcovado-- though very exhausting -- is one of my favorite memories still.

Manassas, Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

Thanks crfan and plumboy. I agree that 9 nights are necessary, and I think that's a good possibility. Flying to Sirena sounds fun but is probably out of the budget and I'd be too afraid that I'd miss something on the hike. It's good to hear that Corcovado is worth doing along with BdC as long as we have the time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

We did Sirena last year for 2 nights by flying in from Puerto Jeminez. This year, we stayed at Bosque del Cabo. To me, both were very similar as far as wildlife and vegetation; the only thing we saw at Sirena and did not see at BdC is a puma (although there was seeing of a puma behind the bar while we were at BdC). You just can not compare the comfort of Bosque del Cabo! Bosque del Cabo is magical where Sirena is an "experience"!

If it was my 10th year anniversary, I would definetely go to Bosque del Cabo for a treat :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,659 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

Nothing is comparable with the large number of animals at Corcovado...no one place around Osa can offer you more wild life...you can check Luna Lodge by Carate...maybe some good hikes out of there into the park...then a nice treat like Lapa Rios the best around!

roadadvisor

Edited: 19 March 2014, 13:45
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

Corcovado's Sirena station is better than bosque del Cabo for wildlife, but not by a huge margin. We saw puma at BdC along with 1 species of peccary and three species of monkey, we saw 4 species of monkey, 2 species of peccary, the tapir, bull shark, and came within 30 feet of the puma (smelled it but didn't realize how close it was until another group showed us the picture).

You can be very, very, very happy at Bosque del Cabo itself.

As others have noted, you'd have to extend your time period to do both. I would boat in/out of Sirena based in Drake bay, then take a shuttle to bosque del Cabo from Drake should you choose that option.

Manassas, Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

Thank you everyone! I'm becoming more and more convinced that I must see Corcovado. It just seems silly to come so close and skip it. Now to talk to Grandma about keeping the boys a few extra nights so we can put this all together.

Flying in seemed a little too extravagant to me, but when I talked to my husband about it he loved the idea. A bit like Indiana Jones! So maybe the budget can allow it, especially if we can fly into Corcovado the same day we fly to Puerto Jimenez and skip that night in a hotel. Definitely hiking out. My only qualm is I had toyed with the idea of doing the Los Patos-Sirena-La Leona loop, but there is a good chance the loop wouldn't be an option anyway depending on how high the rivers are.

Racandee, can you tell me about the shuttle out of Drake? I read something about Rincon Rd being unpassable in the rainy season and I can't seem to find flights from Drake to Puerto Jimenez in the low season.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

What month are you going? The closer you get to October, the less motivated I would be to go. When it rains there, it RAINS there.

One can go directly from Drake Bay to Sirena via boat and return the same way, if conditions permit. About 75-90 minutes each way. People do day trips to Sirena from Drake as well as overnights.

I don't know of a shuttle to Puerto Jimenez, locals would have to answer that.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

We flew to Sirena for eighty-five dollars each way per person. We flew with Alfa Romeo in PJ

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bosque del Cabo and Corcovado too?

Personally, I would fly to Sirena from PJ (using Alfa Romeo, as mentioned); stay two nights; hike out via La Leona to Carate; and jump on the colectivo and have them drop you off at the BdC driveway. Just make sure someone at BdC knows to expect you, and can meet you so you don't have to walk that long driveway after hiking out of Corcovado (trust me, you won't want to!). A lot of it will depend on your dates and the tides, etc.

The flight from PJ to Sirena is short but magnificent and definitely breathtaking (for the beauty and the adventure!). It can be a little scary but it's amazing.

Someone mentioned Mike Boston, but I can also highly recommend Nito Paniagua as an amazing guide. He can be reached via his family's tour company, Surcos Tours [ surcostours.com ].

Have fun whatever you decide !

Edited: 20 March 2014, 02:50
Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula