We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

Hey,

I am currently helping a friend to organize his vacaions in Costa Rica. I reccommended him to stay in Sierpe and do a oneday tour to Corcovado. But they would prefer to drive to Puerto Jimenez, stay there and do the tour to Corcovado. From what I read the distance (Puerto Jimenez-Corcovado or Carate) is very long. Is there even the possibility to do a one day guided tour to Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez? They have a rental car and don't want to spend too much money which is why they want to stay in a place they can reach by car. They will travel next week, as now is the beginning of the rainy season I am also concerned about the conditions of the roads in that area...

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

yes, many people make one day trips to the park from Puerto Jimenez. If the budget is tight, they can take the collectivo which runs from PJ to Carate for under $10 each way. Or, if they have a 4x4 rental and they talk to locals about the current road condition, they may be able to drive the rental car to Carate. There is also private taxis that make the journey.

It's about a 2 hour trip one way.

Pura vida,

Ballardo

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you have any recommendation where they could book a guided tour? So by car its a 2 hour trip to Carate. And from there how long/ how do they get to the entrance of the park?

Do they have to make a reservation in advance?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

Roughly 2 mile hike from Carate to the La Leona entrance for Corcovado. Then it's a beach hike inside the park. They won't make it to Sirena ranger station but could hike along the beach until they take a lunch break and then return same way. There are river crossings. See a map of the trails at osaaventura.com/guided-corcovado-treks.php#1 You could also send a private message to jaguardman who is a private guide in this area.

From the Footprint Guide:

About 40 minutes beyond Carate is La Leona station. It's about 18 km (six hours) from Carate to Sirena which you can make in one day as long as the tides don't work against you - check with the wardens so you don't get stuck. From La Leona to the end of Playa Madrigal is another 2½-hour walk, part sandy, part rock with some rock pools and rusty shipwrecks looking like modern art sculptures. At points the trail rises steeply into the forest and you are surrounded by mangroves, almonds and coconut palms. A couple of rivers break the beachline. The first, Río Madrigal, is only about 15 minutes beyond La Leona. Clear, cool and deep enough for swimming about 200 m upstream, it's a refreshing stop if you're walking out and a good place to spot wildlife

I would also consider just hiring a guide for a hike in the Cabo Matapalo area which is a 45 minute drive from Puerto Jimenez if their goal is to see wildlife. The wildlife does not respect park boundary lines.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

Thank you for your help and all the useful information. I think they might just go to Sierpe after all. They will travel from Montezuma to Sierpe on that day. I am sure to go all the way to Puerto Jimenez might be a little too much...

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

We flew Tambor (for Montezuma)/San Jose/Drake Bay and it took only a couple of hours including to and from airports versus most of a day to take the water taxi to Jaco, ground transfer to Sierpe and then boat down river.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

You could do it but the time they will spend in PTO Jimenez would be very short and they will spend more time dryving that enjoy in the place. The only solution is fly to the destiny, is the only way to have more time to spend at this place; theres good companys to take an internal flight.

7. Re: Daytrip Corcovado from Puerto Jimenez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:16