We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

Can anyone tell me what they are planning, it seems to be a lot of land that has been cleared.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
362 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

This is disturbing... I'll be on that road next week and will try and find out.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

It's for a teak plantation. Very ugly.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

Seriously?!? One of my biggest fears is that the last untouched portions of this country start being developed... I always cringe when talk of an international airport comes up for the Osa area. Very sad indeed to hear about the teak... Some may call it progress, I call it needless destruction...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
362 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

Sad but true...I spoke with a few locals about this clearing. It will yield a large amount of teak which is quite profitable.

A Middle Eastern company has leased the land for 100 years from the man who owns it. Except for the owner and the corporation handling the plantation, nobody in the area will benefit from the destruction.

The talk about an international airport in Palmar Norte is indeed troubling but nothing has been decided yet. We don't have a lot of time to enjoy this magical place (and many others) before it's gone.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

This is interesting since there is an ongoing conservation project to uproot and replant a "failed" teak farm in that area. Why would someone pay for a 100 year lease to plant something where others have failed?

I'm also puzzled by the apparent profitability of teak grown in Costa Rica since I bought some very slender teak trees (tall but none over about 6" in diameter) to use in making a large greenhouse (at my farm in Costa Rica) and without some kind of preservative, they rotted away. These teak trees were very cheap -- 1,000 colones each. Of course, this was a few years ago, but still..... even if the price has tripled or quadrupled in that time, it's still too cheap to be profitable for anyone.

Maybe a different species of teak?

Still, to put together a teak plantation in an area where teak plantations have failed doesn't seem very smart.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
362 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

@hattie,

The locals said there was a previous plantation there and it failed. However, it was not teak, it was another tree that is specifically used for paper. The previous failure prompted the owner to lease his land to a commercial teak company. I also questioned the 100 year lease, and it seems this is the standard for mining and timber industries. The companies want to yield the maximum profit while the land owners know they won't live past 100.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

Well, there are teak plantations near Matapalo that have failed so maybe these folks think they can do a better job of it.

What I have seen in other areas is this: It's almost a "scam" where someone plants a gazillion acres of teak and then sells small parcels. "Own your own teak farm! 10,000 trees planted! Only $25,000 for a 5-acre farm that could triple your investment....... or more!" Oh, yes, you can get title to your 5 acres and everything but if the teak doesn't pan out, you are stuck with essentially unusable property.

With the lease situation as you describe, an investor couldn't get title to the property so not sure how that would work. Unless someone just prints up a title and gives it to them and they don't check the National Registry.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
362 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

I would imagine a large scale timber company based in the Middle East would have done studies before embarking on this project. However, the information I have was given to me by locals who live and work in Puerto Jimenez. Perhaps they don't have the correct facts themselves. In any case, it is an eyesore and a stark reminder of the intense logging pressure in all forests. Guess there is no stopping the tide...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

Yes, it's really too bad. Where I live, I was brought to tears recently while watching three huge logging trucks turn and go down the highway, loaded down with 100-year-old trees. I know it was legal because they had to stop at the local police station and show their permits -- but it is still painful.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,789 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clearing of land on the way fom Puerto Jimenez to Matapalo

I would not be so worried. In a few years the business will fail. Another 50 years and nature will took over (as it already happened in that area). In 100 years tourists will flock to see the wonders of nature. These are only milliseconds in Earth lifetime.