We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping

Ontario
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Camping

Is it possible to do any camping around here? I see that the beaches are pretty deserted and I'd be tempted to just walk up the beach towards Corcovado and find a place in the rainforest to sleep in in my hammock. Is that doable? Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping

It is doable...first you have to find out ...who owns the land where you are planning to camp...some ugly people will get mad if you do not ask first!

Another reason...of course safety...some places look very nice...but could be not the correct place to camp...

I used to camp in Carate by the airfield...at the beach side...is a common place for people to camp!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Ontario
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping

Oh nice, do people still camp there? I'd really like to give it a try.

NJ
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping

you will in the jungle if you step off a trail .. you will encounter jungle stuff.. animals you may have only seen in zoos, big cats like the jaguar that hangs around the ranger station with a cub...a fer de lance snake... ticks like you never saw... rogue gold miners ready to protect themselves. .. this is a rugged place to camp.. I stayed at Terripin Lodge and the only thing we did not get was the jaguar.

you can sleep next to the last bodega with showers or at the ranger station ,or go anywhere... I always have visions of having my throat slit for a flashlight by some scoundrel if I set up out of the way.

I have unreasonable ideas that some people might be protecting a pot field or somthing when I go way off the normal route. Here youhave a new element the illegal gold miner, who would figger.. Enjoy your trip ,I did

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping

ellapop...

I love the way you described your experience in Carate...same ideas crossed my mind the last time I was force to camp around there...I thought that King Kong was going to attack me...I´m a chicken or what?

roadadvisor

Freehold, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping

yes

Freehold, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping

that last post was to reply if a person can camp there, not if you are a chicken. I never posted till today and thought that rambling did not post .so I reposted .

I loved the Oso.

next time i will fly directly to sirenna station and walk out . I never made it this time . I love the stories of crossing the alligator? crocodile infested river at high tide with a raft with your stuff on it and you push it across up to your neck it debris filled water. Dodging small balsa tree parts and stay coconuts while being pounded by waves that raise the water level about three inches with every wave. This only happens if you miss the the low tide moment when it's a kneehigh stroll thru calm waters.

Some people have nerve.

7. Re: Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Carate