We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in July

Which Carate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in July

Hey guys!

Planning a Costa Rica trip for July, have lots of questions I'm sure, but the first thing I would love to hear your honest opinions on is driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in a rental car.

I've heard a few horror stories about this road, but would love to visit Carate. I know we'll need a 4x4, but we're on a tight budget so looking at Daihatsu Bego. Your thoughts?

Many thanks!

Lucy

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,299 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in July

Daihatsu Bego will be OK, as there are no steep hills where Bego could lost his power. The road is potholed, you will need to cross several streams. Bego is not among the high ground clearance vehicles so check each stream carefully by crossing it on feet if your visual inspection puts you in doubt. Otherwise it is like any other road, drive slowly, from one pothole to next, and enjoy the countryside while doing so.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in July

I recently did this drive in a terios/bego with no problems at all, but it was in the dry season. There is a river that looks like it would be quite substantial in the rainy season and might pose a problem. Usually I would recommend waiting for a local to go through and follow their path, but in the whole time we were on this road we only saw one other vehicle! You should contact your hotel and get advice directly from them in this case. keep on mind that your car is not insured to cross rivers, no matter what extra insurance you buy. always drive slowly through water, if you go to fast you force water over the top of the engine and into the air intake and this can destroy the engine.

Follow the advice of locals and you should be fine.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in July

The Bego is good enough...agree with my amigos...Xelas and Sonny...and they both love to drive around Costa Rica...in case of any nasty river...just wait until it go down...please do not take chances...but July will be a good month and rarely the rivers around there are going to be crazy for days...

roadadvisor

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in July

If you're especially worried, you could plan your drive time such that the collectivo, which runs twice daily on a schedule, is a half-hour or so behind you.

5. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Carate