We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

Hi, we're about to go on our first trip to Costa Rica. We have a 4x4 and are heading to Corcovado for three nights. Has anyone recently done the trip between Puerto Jimenez and Carate? I know there are several river crossings, and wondered how bad they are?

If the rivers are high do they tend to fall quickly?

Very grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Pete

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,401 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

They are more creeks then rivers, however they have a tendency to rise quick with rain ... and to go to normal equally quick. So it is impossible to predict the water level in advance. You will need to get at least to Puerto Jimenez; there is a collectivo (a transformed pick-up) that starts early in the morning. If this one is not leaving PJ then you will need to wait.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
252 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

and they are building a real road now between PJ and Carate, the river crossings when I was there two weeks ago where not that a big problem, but always depends on how many rain is falling. Locals weren't convinced the new road and bridges will hold in rainy season. If you're with more persons (like 4 or more) you also can take a 4x4 taxi, costs around 80 USD for the car, more expensive but more flexible/faster than the colectivo.

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

Thanks very much for your replies. We have a 4x4, so we'll hope that we're lucky and the rivers are OK when we get there!

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

Hi,

Just to say that we did the trip in late May/ June and the road was amazing! It had recently been graded and the locals were saying it's the best it's ever been. I can imagine that if there's loads of rain it might be a problem, but as it was, it would have even been possible in a 2 wheel drive (though I was happy to have a 4x4).

And Corcovado is amazing...!

Pete

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

Road in good conditrion...the water volume will change in minutes...please do not take ANY chances...if the CREECK looks nasty...it is nasty...some seriuos accidents around that area during wet season...PLEASE do not take chances!

Just go by loclas advice the day of the drive...!!!

roadadvisor

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

Hello Pete,

I am planning a similar trip in Dec 2013.

Where did you leave your car in Carate?

Did you walk from Carate to Sirena? Is it possible to do without guide?

(My wife and I are reasonably fit 50+, and our son is 25).

Were 3 days enough for Corcovado?

Regards,

Jacob Rem

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,401 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

You cannot walk into Corcovado NP (that is past La Leona Ranger Station) without a guide. Fitness has nothing to do with that rule, safety does. 3 days is a minimum as 2 days are spent on hiking in and out of La Sirena.

8. Re: Is the road passable from Puerto Jimenez to Carate May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Carate