We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJO to Carate to Puerto Viejo

Boston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
SJO to Carate to Puerto Viejo

Hola. I'm planning a trip in a few months from San Jose to carate and then on to Puerto Viejo. I have almost 12 days so I think I can make this work. Thoughts?

I know flying is faster, but I would like to avoid as much as I can. Any recommendations for hired car service?

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
5 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SJO to Carate to Puerto Viejo

You will need a 4x4 type of car for Carate section; contact Wild Rider www.wild-rider.com . Those are fairly long legs to drive, although on map they might look close. Assuming you will fly in and out of SJO, and that Puerto Viejo is Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, this would be my itinerary:

SJO - Dominical (1) - Carate (3) - Uvita (1) - Turrialba (2) - Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (3) - SJO. I have left 2 nights for potential overnights near the airport. If not needed then add them to 1-night stops.

Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Dominical
Dominical
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Uvita
Uvita
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SJO to Carate to Puerto Viejo

You might want to look through the directions/travelling options on the site of Lookout Inn located in Carate: lookout-inn.com/how-to-get-to-costa-rica-rai… . Thee are shared shuttles you can get to get to Puerto Jimenez, from where you can take a collectivo (truck) going twice a day to Carate. Unless you are travelling after big rains, it should be able to cross the rivers vs returning back to Puerto Jimenez to spend a night and try again the next morning. The above link also suggests the type of vehicle you would need to rent if you want to drive yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Boston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SJO to Carate to Puerto Viejo

Thank you! I saw their info. I think I'll take car service to PJ. I just need to find a shared van there if you have any ideas who offers this service?

Boston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SJO to Carate to Puerto Viejo

Thank you! I'll take a look at this. I know I'm making what was supposed to be an easy trip complicated, but I missed Corcovado last time and I fell in love with PV!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SJO to Carate to Puerto Viejo

So, if you are not driving yourself, why Puerto Jimenez, why not Drake Bay? Is your goal to hike Corcovado, possibly 1-2 nights at one of the ranger stations? Then Drake Bay makes more sense. If your goal is to see wildlife, possibly without purchasing a super expensive Corcovado pkg, then Puerto Jimenez to Carate, by a collectivo truck. Should be some fun (and bumpy!) adventure ride for those last 1.5 hrs! ;)

If you are not flying, whether you want to go to PJ or to DB, it is not close to SJ.

You can get to Sierpe and ask your hotel in Drake Bay to reserve your seats on a boat Sierpe-Drake Bay, pay the captain. To Sierpe, get by a shared shuttle. https://www.easyridecostarica.com Is offering Sierpe. I have seen at least 1 other Co, too. But do your research. Possibly this Co: https://www.monkeyridecr.com/services.html . These are not the shuttles we tried ourselves elsewhere, so cannot vouch for the EasyRide or for MonkeyRide.

I have found that hostels might have the best maps and directions how to get to a destination. E.g., see the directions of how to get to Drake Bay on Martina's Place site: martinasplace.com/main/theme/plan.php#content . Includes bus info, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Carate
Carate
Reply to: SJO to Carate to Puerto Viejo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted