We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osa or Manuel Antonio?

Scarsdale
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Osa or Manuel Antonio?

My husband and I are planning a trip to CR. We are first going to the Arenal area and then to the Pacific Coast. The original plan was to go to Manuel Antonio, but it sounds very very crowded. Should we go to the Osa Peninsula instead? It sounds beautiful with lots to do.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osa or Manuel Antonio?

I think it really depends on what type of accomodations and things to do you're looking for. My first trip I went to MA and I did enjoy it, but my 2nd trip I went to the Osa and was hooked - to me it offered so much more (of what I enjoy) than MA. I don't mean MA is a bad place, it's great for what it is - many different hotels & restaurants to choose from, many tour companies offering various activities, etc and there fore is much more crowded. The Osa is much more relaxed and much less developed, don't expect a/c or tv's but do expect prime wildlife viewing, beautiful scenery, plants, et al. It's a little more work to get to as well, usually a one hour flight then another hour drive or boat ride to get to your resort. There are many different lodging choices for all budgets, but my fave is Bosque del Cabo, about an hour outside of Puerto Jimenez.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,848 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osa or Manuel Antonio?

The other thing to keep in mind is that the natonal park at Manuel Antonio has one of those perfect beaches with light sand, dense tree cover coming down just to the edge of the beach and lots of wildlife. The beaches along the osa peninsula are a different beast; many of the areas are not safe for swimming and the sand is dark and littered with debris from the ocean. Depends on whether you prefer isolation or beautiful beaches. Also while MA is a major tourist dstination in Costa Rica, listening to trip reviews from the holidays would give you the wrong impression of the typical number of visitors. If you're coming in the green season (late April-November) the number of visitors is much lower and crowds are not an issue. Tourist infrastructure around MA is long series of low-rise buildings strung along the ridge road that dead-ends at the park. It seems like there are a lot of people in part because they're all in this narrow corridor with lots of tree cover on either side.

3. Re: Osa or Manuel Antonio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park