We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for hiking Corcovado alone?

currently, Costa...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Advice for hiking Corcovado alone?

I am planning to hike into the Sirena station via the La Leona station in mid-December on my own, without a guide or companion. I have a fair amount of wilderness experience, and am comfortable walking the trail with just a map and compass, but am wondering if anyone who has done the hike recently has any advise? Thank you so much.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for hiking Corcovado alone?

The hike is very possible to doned solo, the problem is they dont allow people to go in without a License tour guide, this for safety reason and also to protect the park of people leaving thing behiend. This is a tread with the information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309281-i9074-k300…

I hope you can find your way in. NATUREGUIDE

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for hiking Corcovado alone?

Not sure when you're planning on being there, but I'm flying to Sirena ranger station from Puerto Jimenez via charter flight on Dec 9, with a guide. Hiking out via Carate on Dec 11. We're meeting up with four other people at Sirena who are boating in via Drake Bay.

I have room for three more people on the plane, in case you decide you want to fly in. Send me a private message, and I can give you the details.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for hiking Corcovado alone?

In a way is a kind of romantic way to think about hiking the Park or part of it in our own...but in reality is not safe at all to hike it in our own...anything can happend and is big a park...to avoid that now days you need to have a license tour/adventure guide!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Playas del Coco
Level Contributor
45 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for hiking Corcovado alone?

I hope it's not true that they won't let you in to the park with a guide. That would be completly ridiculous. The trails are clear to follow BUT are not necessarily mapped accuratley. If you got bitten by a snake, croc or fell down and you were on your own it would be difficult but I'm sure you realise that..

What they don't want is visitors getting lost and then having to look for them.

5. Re: Advice for hiking Corcovado alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park