We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado and BdC

Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Corcovado and BdC

Hi -My hubby and I are planning on staying at BdC for 3-4 nights and we're also thinking of hiking in Corcovado. Can we do a day hike into the park or do we need to do an overnighter? We're trying to keep costs down since BdC is a big splurge.

We're also thinking of staying in Pt Jiminez for a few days to do some tours from there. Is it better to stay in Drake bay and do tours on that side? Is it easier to get into the park from there? I read there was a boat you could take but I don't know how much that would cost. We thinking of going in July or Nov/Dec. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers,

CAT

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado and BdC

You can definitely do a day hike into Corcovado. Certain tours are easier (less timely and costly) from certain areas. Do you know what type of tours you want to do yet?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado and BdC

If you stay in the town of PJ a few nights you can do some kayaking, visit the animal sanctuary (although the boat ride is expensive you might be able to share with others), take the collectivo to Carate for a hike into the park. You could stay somewhere economical like Cabines Jiminez in town. From BDC you can just focus on hiking the trails on your own, maybe the night hike or morning birding if it's in the budget...the horseback ride is always good too.

I'll be there in early July this year myself. Late Nov/Dec is a good option too.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado and BdC

It's easier and less expensive to boat in to Corcovado from Drake Bay.

Here's my suggestion:

Fly to Drake Bay, spend a night or two there, then boat to the Sirena ranger station. Spend one or two nights at Sirena, and then hike out via Carate. Then spend your remaining time at BdC. After the Sirena ranger station, BdC will seem like a grand palace. You'll really need and want the luxuries at that point.

Also, I wouldn't do the Corcovado leg without a guide, personally. Besides knowing the hike out much more intimately, you will see SO much more wildlife (the reason for going) with a guide. If you'd like, I can recommend the guide I used back in December -- he was excellent. He also has some contacts in Drake Bay, and I know he can hook you up with a boat into Corcovado for about $150 from Drake Bay (he'd then meet you at Sirena since he lives in PJ).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corcovado and BdC

Yes the best try to buy the tours outside from BDC...they really love to charge...great idea do not stay many nights in BDC...and more time in Puerto Jimenez or Drake´s Bay!

Good hike is from Carate inside of the park...Carate is about 45 minutes from BDC...again try to deal with people in Puerto Jimenez...you will be surprised of the difference on prices!

roadadvisor

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corcovado and BdC

plumboy - I do think that it's easier/cheaper to get to Corcovado from Drake Bay maybe...but collectively the cost of getting to and staying in Drake Bay and Cabo Matapalo at BDC vs getting to and staying in Puerto Jimenez and Cabo Matapalo at BDC might cost less when added all together. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here as I don't have a side by side.

To the OP. You will love BDC -- it is well worth it and you can trust the reviews! :-)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corcovado and BdC

Oh yes, absolutely! And I know you've done your research :-)

If I were to go into Corcovado and stay at Sirena again, though, I'd probably opt to do it from Drake Bay -- mostly because it's less expensive to get to Sirena from Drake Bay (barring, of course, walking in from Carate -- that, of course, is practically free -- just the $8 colectivo to get to Carate from PJ). Other than getting to Carate and walking in, the only way to get to Sirena from PJ is to take that crazy expensive flight I did -- or take an almost as expensive boat. At least from Drake Bay, you might have the $150-200 boat option.

Also, if the OP is interested in spending a night or two inside Corcovado, in my opinion it would be better to do that BEFORE a few nights at BdC. At least that way you have the comfort of BdC to look forward to and to keep you going on that 12 mile hike out! (And when you're taking a cold shower in the dark in a stinky bathroom.) Trust me, you need something to keep you going -- something to look forward to. Not sure I'd want to do it in reverse.

So, those are the two main reasons I'd do it in that direction the next time -- and I'm hoping there will be a next time...

And, though you can certainly do a day trip into Corcovado, personally I think the experience of staying at Sirena (as long as you really know what you're getting into!) is priceless. It's just so beautiful and special. I know once is enough for a lot of people, but I really do want to do it again in spite of the lack of comfort there.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corcovado and BdC

I recommend totally enjoying BDC. Then from Puerto Jimenez you can get guided tours to Corcovado, which is now the only way to go. There are some lovely hotels right in PJ that are well priced and the tours are not too expensive either.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Corcovado and BdC

Thanks everyone! It's great to have this forum and hear about other peoples experiences. Very helpful. I've been reading so much about the area and all its beauty that I want to go ASAP!

We also considering renting the Casa Bambu house if it's available. It sounds like you see lots of wildlife but it's a bit more relaxed. BdC sounds wonderful but I'm not a big fan of eating on a schedule. Has anyone ever stayed there?

Cheers

Ottawa
Level Contributor
361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corcovado and BdC

Yes, we've stayed at one of the Casa Bambu houses twice. It's very relaxed, houses are lovely, abundant wildlife, wonderful beach with great swimming, kayaking, surfing, good kitchen for cooking your own meals. You buy your food in Puerto Jimenez before you head down to Matapalo. You can also eat out...Martina's bar, Encanta la Vida, Lapa Rios, or Bdc. We've also stayed at Bdc twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Either way, you probably won't be disappointed. The whole area is paradise!

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corcovado and BdC

I have to disagree with Plumboy, boating into Corcovado from Drake Bay is not the most economical. You can book your tours with an independent guide, and from Puerto Jimenez you can take the public collectivo to Carate for $8 per person each way. The collectivo leaves PJ at 6am and 1:30pm, and returns at 8am or 4pm. Independent guides will charge between $75-$100 pp/pd and will be able to show you the wildlife that you can easily miss while hiking without one.

Pura Vida

Ballardo Diaz,

Osa Resident & Jungle Guide - Osa, Corcovado, La Amistad Park

Edited: 10 May 2010, 02:52
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park