We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado in December

Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Corcovado in December

Hi - Anyone know what to expect if we're heading to Osa and want to do a 1 or 2 day hike of the park in December? Since it's the end of the rainy season I wonder if the rivers and such will be flooded. Is it already getting pretty steaming at the beginning of Dec.? We're planing on going the first 2 weeks of December. Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado in December

My personal opinion...it will be FANTASTICO!

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado in December

I was there the second week of this last December (the 9th to 11th), and it was perfect. No rain during the the day, but it rained each night leaving the trails a bit muddy in spots. Just pick up a pair of the inexpensive rubber boots in Puerto Jimenez, and you'll be fine.

I think it's always steamy there, so there's no escaping that -- it's a rainforest. It's very humid and hot.

The rivers were not a problem.

You can read my trip report which I just finally got up a couple days ago here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309279-i4523-k361…

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado in December

December is the perfect time of year to explore Corcovado. The rain has slowed down, the rivers are lower, and you can comfortably cross both Rio Madrigal and Rio Claro (the bigger of the two). It's an amazing place. Enjoy.

Ballardo Diaz

Jungle Guide - Osa, Corcovado and La Amistad

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corcovado in December

You guys will love it! Chances are, you will get rain, but that's because it's the rainforest, but it will last for a couple of hours in the day, and then you can head out again! Just start early on your hikes, less rain.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Puerto Jimenez
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corcovado in December

I agree with everyone that this is the best, or one of the best times of year to visit the osa. You will definiely enjoy your trip. Have you put any thought into transportation or places to stay? The road from San Jose to the Osa was recently finished, and the drive much better, shorter and easier. there are rental car options, private shuttle options, or an airport in Puerto Jimenez that runs charter flights back and forth to San Jose. I would suggest if you haven´t already to get these booked in advance. December is the high season, and somethimes, it is hard to get flights, or decent rates. send me an email if you have any specific questions. i would be happy to help.

vilmar

vilmarlopez62@hotmail.com

6. Re: Corcovado in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park