We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado hiking options from Drake Bay?

Texas
14 posts
Save Topic
Corcovado hiking options from Drake Bay?

Hi,

I plan to be in Drake Bay/Aguijitas around November 23 and am curious what my options are for seeing Corcovado from there.

I probably am just looking at a guided 1 day hike but am still considering the possibility of one night in the park. There are two of us in great shape and I'd like a tour that involves seeing the most/ moving around quickly/ longest day possible.

From what I'm reading, the options from Drake Bay are pretty standard - come in on a boat with a tour group arriving mid-morning and return early afternoon. Is this pretty much my only option. I know the quality of the guides can vary greatly but is the time and area covered by all tours pretty standard?

(I posted a similar question last night in my Drake Bay forum question thread so I apologize if most of you are seeing this asked twice)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,517 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado hiking options from Drake Bay?

We stayed at Las Caletas in June. The day trip to Sirena left at 5:30 or 6 AM and returned around 3. Roughly 1 hour by boat. San Pedrillo is much closer to Drake Bay than Sirena if you want to maximize your time on the ground. The problem with daytrips is that the animals tend to be more active at ddawn and dusk so you really want to get an early start. We saw a herd of peccaries, caimans and lots of monkeys during the day. We say a mother tapir and her baby at dusk, as well as crocodiles and a number of smaller mammals.

You could theoretically boat to Sirena 1 morning with a group and hike, then overnite at the Sirena station and return to Drake Bay with another group the next day. Many of the lodges however don't go to Sirena every single day. Or you could boat to Sirena, overnight and then hike out to the LaLeona entrance and take a collectivo back to Puerto Jimenez before returning to San Jose. Second option is preferred. You will need to arrange dorm room and meals before you get there and taking a guide with you for the hike is highly recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado hiking options from Drake Bay?

How about a three day camping expedition?

Day one - hike to San Pedrillo and set up camp

Day two - hike around San Pedrillo viewing wildlife and enjoying the jungle, especially at sunrise and sunset.

Day three - hike back to Drake Bay

You would need to bring a tent, sleep sheet, and your food, but it is possible to camp at the San Pedrillo ranger station.

The other option is the standard boat in and out of Sirena. Feel free to share more questions here, or send me a message on Trip Advisor and I'd be happy to share more info with you.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo Daiz - Jungle Guide

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
3. Re: Corcovado hiking options from Drake Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 07:24
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park