We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide

Nederland, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide

Hi,

I am planning on hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide in February. Can anyone please verify if the park service now allows unguided trips? I have found 2 websites that indicate it is allowed starting in 2010.

Also, does anyone have a more detailed description of the hike from Sirena to Carate? I would like to understand exactly where in the hike I need to be aware of tides. (I am all about planning & being prepared as possible!) Thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide

Bad idea to go into hike through Corcovado without a guide, in my opinion. Too many safety risks, and you'll miss out on a bunch of wildlife spotting and learning about the rain forest.

I'd file that under penny wise and pound foolish.

Nederland, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide

I appreciate your views! However, I can't afford a guide at $100/day. All of my funds are going to getting there!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide

I'm assuming you've found this site: http://www.corcovadoguide.com/

If not, it provides thorough descriptions of the various trails.

Someone else will have to confirm whether or not a guide is now required for the Los Patos to Sirena trail, but I believe it is. I know it's expensive, but I have to second the very strong recommendation to find a way to do it. Try publicizing over on the ThornTree forum -- sometimes you can find people to help split the cost of a guide. It can be dangerous doing it by yourself, so at least try to find someone to hike with. Have fun!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide

Send a private message to Ballardo, though a guide for Corcovado, he is an honest person and will tell you the regulations for the national park,

http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/Jaguardman .

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide

He also has a Facebook page that includes a recitiation of five good reasons to hire a guide, only one of which is safety. But it also implies that it's not a requirement, and that's my understanding as well.

You'll also need a park admission reservation, so you should contact soldeosa.com for their service in obtaining one, and you can confirm minimum legal requirements with them.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 19:24
6. Re: Hiking from Los Patos to Sirena without a guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park