We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Share Corcovado flights; Osa advice please

Warkworth, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Share Corcovado flights; Osa advice please

Hi again travelers

Giving in to ongoing ankle/knee issues, we’ve had to bin our plans to hike into Sirena Station late this year, so instead will be flying in and out. We (husband and I) will be with a guide, so there will be 2 seats free into Sirena on 1st December, and back out on 3rd December – i.e. spending 2 nights there. Would anyone like to join us and split flight costs?

Yet to be decided, but flights would be from/back to either Drake or Puerto Jiminez (see below).

At this stage, with regard to Corcovado, we haven’t decided where to fly from/to, and this is where we’re once again asking advice from contributors -

Accommodation and vehicle safety:

We’ll have too much equipment (includes scuba diving gear) to fly domestically, so will be hiring a vehicle to drive from San Jose to the Osa area on around 29th Nov, and back to San Jose by 9th December. While we’re away for the few days at Sirena, we’d need to be sure the vehicle can be left somewhere safe, perhaps at whichever little airstrip we fly from, or at our accommodation.

We’d like to stay somewhere within an hour or so’s drive to one of the airstrips for the Sirena flight, for perhaps a couple of days prior to our Corcovado trip, then for another few days afterwards – in the hope that the accommodation would be happy to store our gear for us while we’re at Sirena.

We’re considering somewhere like Iguana Lodge, or renting a house at Matapalo (assuming our belongings would be safe left in the empty house for a few days while we’re at Corcovado) . So somewhere close to wildlife and probably 3.5–star or above as this will be our relaxation period  Would the Drake area be best, or the Puerto Jiminez side as we’d been thinking? We’re not nightclubbers anymore(!), enjoying instead nature and nice food. We’re not concerned with scuba diving opportunities for this portion of our trip as we’ll be heading off to Cocos Islands on 10th December.

A chance to see a glass frog would be a motivator in deciding where to stay, but we understand finding them can be pretty difficult so not hinging anything on this …

Many thanks yet again for any suggestions

1. Re: Share Corcovado flights; Osa advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 00:01
Edited: 21 March 2011, 00:01
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Share Corcovado flights; Osa advice please

Re securely parking a car, several of the vacation rentals listed by Soldeosa.com have live-in staff; Casa Bambu for example. No doubt a Puerto Jimenez lodging or a guide you arrange in advance would provide other options. If you enter via Drake Bay and a charter boat rather than flying, I understand there's secure parking at the Las Vegas restaurant in Sierpe.

Above from reading for own future trip, not experience.

Warkworth, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Share Corcovado flights; Osa advice please

Thanks yet again TiltedFlipCurves for your suggestions. I'm just about to take a look at Soldeosa.com.

Cheers :-)

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Share Corcovado flights; Osa advice please

I suggest that you consider flying in and out of Sirena from Puerto Jimenez, as it's a good base for taking care of last minute business such as banking and shopping before heading into the park.

There are some good house rentals in the area between Puerto Jimenez and Carate. One I personally like is called Pelican House, and is located about 20 minutes outside of Puerto Jimenez. The caretaker is wonderful and will make sure you are comfortable. http://www.pelicanhousecostarica.com/ - I would guess that he would watch over your vehicle and things while you are in Corcovado for a small fee/tip. This location (opposed to Matapalo) allows you to run into town a little easier if you want to have dinner out.

I would think twice about leaving your belongings in an empty house. Instead, try to arrange leaving them with a caretaker or in another place where someone is physically present.

I'll keep my ears open to anyone wanting to share a flight with you come December.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo Diaz - Jungle Guide

5. Re: Share Corcovado flights; Osa advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park