We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

Wales
Level Contributor
87 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

We are staying at a holiday home called Playa Lapa in Carate this December and will have 4 full days to explore the area. I am wondering about booking a guide for a 1 day hike in to the park or possibly overnight with a stay at Sirena, but already having paid for the house this seems like it will be a bit of an expensive option! Another possibility is 1 day with a guide and 1 day without? Are there any trails to explore close to where we are staying, but not in the park, with wildlife viewing opportunities? Do you need a park permit to explore alonfg the beach? Any suggestions gratefully received!

Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

Sirena is an amazing experience. If you're up to the hike, I wouldn't pass it up.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

You may walk the beach from Carate till La Leona ranger station, cca 45 minutes, without the permit. Very prolific wildlife sightings alongside Cabo Matapalo road, starting on the junction with Carate road. Maybe Bosque del Cabo will allow you to hike their trails. Check also this very informative post from TA member tiltedflipcurves: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309279-i4523-k410…

In my opinion and according to my experiences you do not need to have a guide or even to enter the Corcovado NP as there is abundance of wildlife also outside the park boundaries.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 15:47
Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

One more edit: you do not need a guide for 1 day walk into Corcovado from La Leona station. You will definitively need a guide if you are staying at La Sirena.

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

If you do plan to enter the park, be sure to make and pay for your reservations before you drive down to Carate as you can not enter the park without it. You can do this near the airport in Puerto Jimenez at the Park Rangers Office or in advance through Sol de Osa. It is $10 per day per person.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

Agree with everybody...that is nice and rare...but walking around Carate is nice and you can see some incredible things...in my case I always like to have a local guide...it is a remote part of our country and anything can happen...a lot better with a private guide...and Jaguardman in this case can be great!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

I too recommend Jaguardman. But if don't decide you want a guide until after you arrive and it's too late to make arrangements with him, the ISEAME lodge is near (walking distance) to the Playa Lapa house. I believe they could make arrangements for a day-hike guide with little notice. Ditto for the handful of other lodges that lie between there and the park entrance.

I'd expect the lagoons at your rental to be rich in wildlife viewing opportunities.

7. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2011, 17:41
8. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 October 2011, 00:14
Nome, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

Mike Boston is a great guide, and Ulises Quintero is great for birders.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corcovado Guide - 1 day or overnight?

I hiked into Corcovado last year with a prearranged permit and a local guide and spent two nights at Sirena. It was a magical and wonderful experience that I will remember the rest of my life. I saw far more wildlife around Sirena than I saw anywhere else on the Osa Peninsula. It's good to spend two nights because it takes most of the day to hike to or from Sirena. However, I think you could get away with one night if you start early on your first day, so that you still have time in the afternoon or early evening to explore the area around the ranger station. The hike into (or out of) Sirena from Carate is exhausting and somewhat tedious, as it is along the hot, sunwashed beach, often over sand. I hiked in by a different route (from Los Patos, along a forested trail that was not as hot or exhausting as the beach route from Carate), but to and from Carate, you have to stay on or near the beach. It would not make sense to hike all the way to Sirena without spending at least one night. In fact, you'd have to be in tiptop shape to hike both ways in one day. Whether or not you decide to hike into the park, I also recommend using a local guide. They are certain to spot, and to know where to look for, wildlife that you will not be able to find on your own. Also, they are trained in safety procedures should one of your party have any kind of medical issue. To minimize the cost of a guide, you could go through a local tour-booking agency who could match you up with others wanting to hike into the park at the same time. The local agency can also take care of your permits. This is what I did.

Edited: 24 October 2011, 19:53
Mentioned in this post
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Carate
Carate
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park