We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
106 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

Hi,

My sister, brother and I (all in our 50s) are visiting Costa Rica in December 2011. We are flying into San Jose and would like to stay in Sirena Ranger Station for 3 nights. I've read there is an air strip at Sirena but I'm not able to find flights from San Jose to Sirena. Also, I read we should hire a guide. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

No scheduled flights to Sirena. You have to charter a small plane out of Puerto Jimenez to land on the short grass strip at Sirena.

We arrang our stay at Sirena through Mike at Osa Aventuras. Just google for more info.

You should also contact Jaguarman with a private message on this site He is a frequent poster on the Corcovado forum and a guide who has provided lots of help and advice to visitors.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

There is only charter service available-about $400 one way to charter the plane. I believe you can fly out of Puerto Jimenez or Drake Bay.

A cheaper alternative would be to take a boat in from Drake Bay--about $50/person each way.

A guide is a must, in my opinion.

NC
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

I am interested in the boat to La Sirena from Drake Bay. Do you have any contact information?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

We booked our boat through our lodge, Finca Maresia.

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

Here is the link to Alfa Romero Air Charters: http://www.alfaromeoair.com/destinations.html

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

Thank you Jaguardman...Alfa Romero is a great people to dealt with...very proffesional...good advice Ballardo!

roadadvisor

Kansas City
Level Contributor
332 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

In August we flew to Sirena and boated out. We booked through Corcovado Expeditions. Our guide was Kenneth Mora, and I would highly recommend him. Kenneth's website is corcovadoinfocenter.com.

Sirena was the highlight of our 10 days in Costa Rica. Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

Kenneth was our guide and he was excellent for us as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

Definitely you should hire a guide. Also, however you get to Sirena, you will need an advance-purchased permit for entering the national park and staying at the station. I also recommend reserving meals while you are at the station. The meals are basic but tasty and save you time and trouble carrying and preparing food. A tour operator such as Sol de Osa can arrange all of this for you. Lastly, a word of advice: Strongly consider taking a tent, air mattress, and lightweight silk sleep sack and sleeping on the tent platform at the ranger station instead of in the dorms. The tent platform has a roof, so you don't need a flysheet. I traveled with two others when I went to Sirena. They slept in the dorm while I slept in a tent. They said that the dorm was stiflingly hot, and they got little sleep. I was quite comfortable on the open-air tent platform, where a breeze kept things cool.

10. Re: Staying at Sirena Ranger Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park