We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

Fort Collins, Co
12 posts
Save Topic
Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

Has anyone stayed at Lapas Rios and taken their tour into Corcovado National Park? I've gotten feedback that it is very expensive, but also well worth it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

It is far away and yes it is expensive expensive. They do it by land or by air: By land they would take you by car 2 hours to Karate and then you enter La Leona Station and hike for 3 or 4 hours, it is over $400 per couple. Or they also do it by plane they take you to Puerto Jimenez and fly you to the Sirena station where you do the hike and it is approx $1200 per couple.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

It is worth it every penny...from Lapa Rios to CARATE no more than 45 minutes...of course in a good vehicle...and a driver that knows the road!

You can try to ask the sma equestion direct to Jaguardman a local person that in the past I used as a guide...as many other peopl...he really knows the area...he post all the time here at the Costa Rica Osa forum,!

His name is Ballardo Diaz...he really knows OSA and is 100% costarican...great guy ...great guide!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

45 minutes from Lapa Rios to Karate wow, it took almost 2 hours to the driver from Lapa Rios when I took that tour last year, and he really knew the road.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

Roadadvisor is right...45 minutes to an hour from Lapa Rios to Carate. I can't imagine it taking two hours...I wonder why that happened. Did he stop frequently to show you sights/animals along the way?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

Maybe because you wanted to go to Karate instead of Carate!

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

Not sure how far Karate or were it is. But Carate by the Corcovado National Park is under 1 hour (45 min sounds about right) from Lapa Rios last time I drove in my own car about 1 year ago.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

The trip from Lapa Rios to Carate is only the 1st leg of the adventure. The road ends in Carate and from there it's a 45 minute walk to the park entrance. From the park entrance you can hike along the beach inside Corocavado but this trail is exposed, hot and not very representative of the rainforest environment and wildlife found inside the park. If you really want to see rainforest and wildlife in Corcovado you are much better off visiting by boat from Drake Bay or popping for that vey expensive plane ride into the Sirena ranger station. There is incredible wildlife around Sirena (tapirs, crocodiles and herds of peccaries for example) but it is most active early morning and late day which means your odds are much better with an overnight.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,952 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

Crfan has described the one day hike up to Rio Madrigal (and back) very precisely. I have found much more wildlife just walking the Cabo Matapalo road, free of charge.

9. Re: Have you taken Corcovado Tour while staying at Lapas Rios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:42
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park