We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2017, 09:30
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

Is not only critical to have a guide is mandatory now days...maybe send a PM to jaguarman...at this forum...NOBODY knows the area and the park logistic...better than him...and he is not going to try to convince to stay at any fancy expensive ripp off kind of place...

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,530 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

For hiking Puerto Jimenez is good base. Usually people hike in through Los Patos and out through La Leona. Both are more or less one full day hikes. Check this site www.corcovadoguide.com/rangerstations.htm . You need to have a guide in Corcovado. Ask for suggestion when arranging for permit in Puerto Jimenez.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

Yes, the hike in from Los Patos is more common. You'll still stage your departure from Puerto Jimenez. If you make it all the way to San Pedrillo, I thought camping was still permitted, but if not, you certainly arrange for a boat ride in advance from someone or lodge in Drake Bay...

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

consider basing yourself in Puerto Jimenez and either entering the park through Los Patos or La Leona.

As you have learned, the trail to San Pedrillo is permanently closed. While many people reference the Corcovado Guide web site (#2 above) the information is out of date, so be sure to reconfirm through other sources the accuracy of that information. If you have other specific questions about hiking in the park, please feel free to PM me here or email me at the email listed in my profile.

Pura Vida, Ballardo

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,530 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

Ballardo, thanks for correction. To clear the issue even more, please let me (us) know which trail is closed: La Sirena - San Pedrillo or Drake Bay - San Pedrillo or both. My undestanding is that one cannot hike between La Sirena and San Pedrillo (and on above mentioned site there is also no comment about hiking to/from La Sirena); however there is an open trail to San Pedrillo from Drake Bay area?

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

To clarify the issue of San Pedrillo. You can hike from Drake Bay to San Pedrillo along the coastal trail. You do need to time the hike for low tides at rio claro or rent a canoe from Ricardo to pass the river. You can also boat from Drake Bay to San Pedrillo.

Because of the number of accidents with tourists, unavailability of potable water, challenges and distance, as well as problems with illegal substances washing up on beaches there, the rangers have permanently closed the trail from San Pedrillo to Sirena.

I hope that helps to clarify. Pura Vida, Ballardo

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

Thanks Ballardo!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,530 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

Thank you for clarifying the situation. How is the hike from Drake Bay to San Pedrillo comparing to La Leona La Sirena trail? More on the beach or more inland?

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

Xelas, the hike from Drake Bay to San Pedrillo is a 4-5 hour beach hike, although the trail does wander into light shade forests from time to time.

Reservations are still necessary for entrance to Corcovado National Park at San Pedrillo.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,530 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3-4 Day itinerary for Corcovado

Gracias!

Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park