We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado low intensity activities?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Corcovado low intensity activities?

Hi,

We're thinking about going to Corcovado on the 1 day to get there 1-2 days there, 1 day to get back plan in February. My in-laws, who are with us for the rest of the family trip to Costa Rica, are considering going with us. My mother-in-law is deciding based on whether there are things for her to see while we are off hiking. She is in her 60s and in good shape, but has ankles that are prone to turning and a tendency to get pretty badly hurt when she falls. Thus she's intimidated by a lack of trails or even those that are rough. We're trying to find activities that are lower intensity and haven't found much, but maybe we just aren't looking in the right places. Are there easier hikes or guided boating tours, or enough things for her to do at the Osa Wildlife sanctuary to make the trip worth it for her? Or would it be better for us to either split off or pick a different destination like Manuel Antonio?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado low intensity activities?

Osa is huge...you can find some easy trails orcsome nice tours...of course Manuel Antonio is a lot of smaller park with a lot nice frails...

Roadadvisor

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado low intensity activities?

I'm a little confused if you are trying to visit Corcovado National Park or the Osa Peninsula in general. This reply if for Corcovado National Park and the Sirena Ranger Station.

Does your Mother in Law enjoy nature, like birdwatching, or walking in the forest, or sitting on the beach watching crocodiles surf? Does she enjoy photography, or sketching?

I think if she enjoys the natural environment she will enjoy Corcovado. The activities in the park are the nature, the animals, the birds, the plants, the ocean, stars, skies.

Will you boat in from Drake Bay? Or will you Fly in from Puerto Jimenez? Those are the two non-hike options for getting into the park at Sirena.

While you are out tackling some of the longer trails, your mother could make self guided walks on the trails close to Sirena Station, or you could contract a guide just for her. The terrain is mostly flat, just need to watch the footing for roots and other forest debris. A hiking stick could be a good friend.

The family can swim in the rivers together, hike close to the station together, enjoy a sunrise and sunset bird/animal watching together on the trails close to the station.

She can sit on the big covered porch and just relax, read, sketch, write. or enjoy talking with other travelers. I think there could be plenty to keep her active, but without much hiking if she's interested in those types of things.

I hope this helps you decide (just do it), Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Edited: 15 December 2012, 17:00
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado low intensity activities?

Thanks, everyone, that helps!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corcovado low intensity activities?

Go to Drake Bay and use the boats to the ranger stations, if not, its a huge effort to even get to the Osa and Corcovado, so to only spend a night there is hardly worth it. You could go to Carate, and hike 45 minutes on the beach to La Leona, then the trails in the park there, but overall, this is raw and rugged area, so be prepared for heat, humidity, intense sun, heavy rains, and non stop insects.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corcovado low intensity activities?

Boating in from Drake Bay to Sirena would seem to make the most sense, though a chartered flight in and out could also make sense depending on how many people in your party.

You mentioned this was a family trip--any young children? Corcovado is serious wilderness, and I'd be hestitant to take children who are too young there--putting your hands or feet where you can't see them can have really bad consequences . . .

6. Re: Corcovado low intensity activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park