We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will this work?

Nova Scotia, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Will this work?

Our plan is that we would like to fly from San Jose, down to Puerto Jiminez and take the Colectivo out to Carate. Then spend a few days enjoying Carate (Catappa Bungalows) before hiking through La Leona and into Sirena station. After we spend the night in Sirena, we would like to be able to take a boat from there back to Drake to spend a few days there enjoying Drake Bay (Finca Maresia). I am aware there are many day tours that go to Sirena from Drake. So I was hoping we might be able to catch one of those boats as they head back to Drake after lunch and pay them take us to Drake as well. Would any of the boat operators be liable to do that for payment?

We would leave our main packs in San Jose before flying down to Peurto Jiminez as we don't want anything more than our day packs on our backs for the hike into Sirena. We have a guide from Puerto Jiminez (a friend of Nito) that we would use for the day hike into Sirena and overnight. Then I assume he would just hike back out to Carate when we head for the beach landing to get our boat to Drake.

Is this crazy or might it just work?? TIA

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will this work?

I would strongly recommend giving yourself two nights in Sirena given those circumstances--there are extensive trails you'll want to give yourself a chance to explore around there after getting some well-deserved rest.

Assuming that you've looked into the reservation/lodging/food issue with regard to Sirena. I would ask your guide if you haven't. Look at the Sol de Osa website if you want to do your own research.

You could certainly catch a boat back to Drake Bay. You would just want to schedule the boat in advance--I wouldn't count on hitching a ride while you're there, even if paying.

Have you considered reversing your itinerary?

SJO=> Drake Bay/Finca Maresia (great place, we really liked it)

Drake Bay=>Sirena station by boat, spend 1-2 nights there and you could possibly meet your guide there.

Sirena station=>Carate/La Leona by foot. Carate/La Leona => Puerto Jimenez by collectivo.

This would eliminate the uncertainty as to how you're getting out.

Nova Scotia, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Will this work?

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize there were so many trails around Sirena. It might make more sense to reverse it given that we're carrying heavier packs (with food) in via boat, not the long hike from Carate. We can't get a room at Finca Maresia that way (all booked up), but I'm sure we'll find another nice spot to stay. Is there a grocery store in Drake?

My husband is asking me if the wildlife in Carate is so wonderful and plentiful, do we need to actually go into Corcovado and stay overnight at Sirena? I'm a biologist and really keen to experience the biodiversity the Osa has to offer, but he is concerned that we're spending a lot $$ staying at Sirena o/n when it's not necessary. Thoughts?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will this work?

Carate is supposed to have very good wildlife, but I don't think anything will beat Sirena. At one point, we were within 30 feet of a puma (we smelled it but because it wasn't moving we didn't see it--the people who came on the trail about ten minutes after us did though). Even better, at one point we were standing within 50 feet of a bull shark and a tapir--at the same time. Within our first 5 minutes of hiking at Sirena, we came across one tree where we saw howler and spider monkeys, a coati, a peccary, and a great currasow. Same tree!

You can pre-order meals at Sirena, which may make more sense than lugging several days worth of food around. Not great value, but filling. You really want to be careful about keeping food in your belongings in that kind of place--if wildlife smells it, they will come. Ants, bugs, varmints, etc. Personally, I would go on the meal plan at Sirena and carry perfectly sealed food only for the hiking out.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,978 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will this work?

La Sirena ranger station is located in the heart of Corcovado National Park, one of the most biodiverse places on Mother Earth. Full stop. Stay 2 nights. Forget about $$. Carate is good but La Sirena is the real thing. (Take my info with GOS as I have not been at La Sirena yet).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will this work?

Go for it...great hikes and great life time experience!

roadadvisor

6. Re: Will this work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park