We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking into Corcovado--Advice or Interested in Sharing Guide

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
Save Topic
Hiking into Corcovado--Advice or Interested in Sharing Guide

Hi there,

Myself and my girlfriend will be headed into Corcovado (at least that is the plan) on August 19th for either a 2 or 3 day trek to the Sirena Station and then out via Carate. We have organized the tour with a website called SolDeOsa and they have been very responsive to emails.

I have a couple questions and it would be great to get some local knowledge/advice:

First, we are on a tight budget so the 3 day is really expensive for us--has anybody done a 2 day? Does it give you enough time to enjoy it/experience the park or is it really only worth it if you go for 3 days (that way you can spend the middle day at Sirena)?

Second, thoughts on this company/alternatives both from a pricing standpoint and a quality of guide standpoint (charging $525 for 3 days or $350 for 2 days per person). My girlfriend is very very worried about snakes (really her only fear) so we want the best guide possible. Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Third, is the trail doable/enjoyable at this time of year given the rain?

Fourth (and related to the previous snakes concern) any horror stories/words of advice that we should be aware of before committing to this?

Fifth and finally (and dependent on what we hear for 1-4) would anybody be interested in joining us? The more people the better from the standpoint that prices per person come down. We are two young, energetic people looking to experience and new part of the world and would love to share it with someone if it makes sense!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Best,

Jim

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,752 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking into Corcovado--Advice or Interested in Sharing Guide

ad First: you already know that trekking into and out of La Sirena is about 8-10 hours, which means one whole day in and one whole day out. And it is a trek, not a slow walk in the park. So you might be able to stop briefly for some wildlife sightings but mostly you will need to look at the trail and follow the guide's pace. Investing so much effort (and money) you should stay at least one full day at La Sirena.

ad Second: I would cross-checked their prices with prices from Surcos Tours; yet tours to Corcovado are expensive. Not even the best guide is a guarantee against fer-de-lance strike; prevention is best defense. Stay on the tzrail all the time, do not touch and branches or lean on any tree trunk, and look where you are walking. Using high rubber boots is best, but on a long trek, if not accustomed to, might become a nuisance. At least wear proper ankle high hiking boots, and long pants.

As Third: depending on the amount of rain, Los Patos trail might be even closed; enjoyable is neither one even in dry season, if you are not a hard core hiker.

ad Fourth: I have read that some minister was lost for a day in the rain forest, after he walked off the trail to take a leak. Rain forest legend? Maybe.

ad Fifth: No; when going to La Sirena, I will take boat from Drake Bay. Thanks for invitation, anyway.

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking into Corcovado--Advice or Interested in Sharing Guide

Xelas,

All great information. Thanks for the advice. We are aware that it is quite the track but we are hoping that the end is worth it means. I have heard great things about Serena may end up staying an extra day as you suggest.

Thanks,

James

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking into Corcovado--Advice or Interested in Sharing Guide

Please be sure and stay an extra day for 2 reasons - you are hiking in rainy season and your odds of spotting wildlife are very low if it rains. A three day trip increases your odds of having clear weather for part of the trip. Second the return hike to La Leona ranger station and Carate departs based on tide tables as you can't cross the rivers in between at high tide. I haven;t checked the tide tables for your date but your outfitter could help. When we were last there the hikers departed at 5 AM to make the river crossings. That sounds like a painful 2 day trip if you arrive at Sirena late afternoon and leave at the crack of dawn or even earlier the 2nd day.

4. Re: Hiking into Corcovado--Advice or Interested in Sharing Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park