We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Corcovado late November

San Francisco, CA
6 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Corcovado late November

Hi

I am traveling to Costa Rica Nov 28 - Dec 7. I have been reading these forums and have lot of ideas. But need some help with filling up some blanks here and there. Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is my first backpacking experience. Very excited and anxious at the same time. So, this is the approximate itinerary.

Nov 28 - Bus to Jimenez

Nov 29 - Walk to Sirena from Carate.

Nov 30 - This is where it gets a little fuzzy. We cannot get the dorm reservation.

So, the options are either camp extra day in Sirena. Is there a place we can borrow tents. We will be carrying our sleeping bag with us

Or take a boat to Drake's bay and spend a couple of days with Drake's bay + Cano Island

Dec 2 - Bus to Manuel Antonio/or any other beach town + 2 days

Dec 4 - Bus to Monteverde

Dec 7 - Bus back to SJ. Overnight at SJ.

I'm looking for feedback and suggestions. We are open to moving days around. We are keen on Corcovado - La Leone to Sirena hike and Monteverde. Everything else is quite flexible.

At this time I am unsure if I want to do 1 or 2 nights at Sirena, especially since the second day is camping only option and we were not looking at carrying our tents. So any tips on that would be great. Also, since it is the rainy season, not so sure of walking back to Sirena either.

Can we get a one way boat ride to Drake's bay from Sirena.

Also, transport from Drake's bay to Manuel Antonio? I read there is a bus, but I have read contradictory things about it working.

We can also do the other way, do you think that would be better. Ending with Corcovado, instead of Monteverde.

We are not too particular of Manuel Antonio. Any other nice beach town in between Corcovado and Monteverde, which is easy to get to and relaxing and of course lovely. :)

Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

you wrote: Nov 30 - This is where it gets a little fuzzy. We cannot get the dorm reservation.

So, the options are either camp extra day in Sirena. Is there a place we can borrow tents. We will be carrying our sleeping bag with us

- why can't you get the dorm reservation? No matter camping or dorm, you will need a reservation. you can rent tents in Puerto Jimenez.

It can be difficult to get a boat out of Corcovado during high season. I would suggest you make these arrangements in advance to insure that you can get out. Most boats come to Corcovado full, and leave full, so it's hard to pick up a ride without advance reservations.

As for bus, you will take the Drake Bay minibus to Rincon and transfer to the Lobo Blanco bus that will take you further on. You may need to change busses in Palmar to head north to MA.

Other beaches.... I like Uvita myself.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
San Francisco, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

Thanks Ballardo for your reply. We may end up doing the camping as well then.

We contacted a travel agent to make reservations and permits for us and he mentioned that there is no dorm availability for Nov 30. We can get a camp reservation however.

"As for bus, you will take the Drake Bay minibus to Rincon and transfer to the Lobo Blanco bus that will take you further on. You may need to change buses in Palmar to head north to MA."

Is there any easier way to get to MA from either Sierpe/Puerto Jimenez? I read about taking a boat to Sierpe and buses from Sierpe to MA/Dominical. Or is getting back to San Jose and then taking a bus to MA better? My friend and I don't know very much spanish. Just a wee bit worried about too many bus transfers. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
377 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

I do love Ventana Beach, just about 5 minutes from Ojochal and 10 minutes before you arrive at Uvita.

Bring your own boggie boards and lunch.

Enjoy!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,388 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

Bus schedule to Puerto Jimenez is busier then the one to Drake Bay or Sierpe. So Puerto Jimenez sounds like a better starting point to La Sirena. However it include a lot of hiking, basivcally one day in and one day out. So from Puerto Jimenez you wanted to stay 2 nights having one full day at La Sirena.

Drake Bay is boat in boat out so 2 nights might suffice. Entering one side and exiting another is more complicated, as Ballardo has already described. Plus you do not want to carry your backpack plus the tent (and you will anyway need to bring the tent back to where you will rent it).

You can even skip Uvita/Manuel Antonio/beach altogether, by adding more days to Osa (and/or Monteverde).

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
San Francisco, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

So, do you think Manuel Antonio is skippable? Spending some more time in Osa - Cano island/Drake bay sounds good. What would you recommend? We were just looking for beach-bumming. Not much of a party scene kind of people.

We have been going back and forth about the camping/dorm in Sirena. He now informs us there are no dorms available either. :( Right now, looks like, we are looking to do 2 nights camping at Sirena. So, we may just carry our own tent and stuff. And so, we can just take a boat back to Drake bay. We have talked to a few lodges and they are willing to give us the boat ride. This seems more acceptable than walking all the way back.

San Francisco, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

I have been reading about bugnet option on platform as well. Do we have to carry our own bugnets in this case? Would you recommend that instead of tents for Nov-Dec timeframe?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,100 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

Just bring a small tent...you can even donate it once you use it...

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

I hate to say this but you're carrying camping equipment and food for 2 nites at Sirena and this is your 1st backpacking trip? I think you're going to be in a world of hurt hiking from Carate to Sirena will all that gear in hot humid weather. Much of that hike is along the beach with no shade available. Unlikley to see much wildlife if you're not using a guide. It can be very tough for someone unused to hiking in tropical condition. Are you really sure you want to do this?

Mentioned in this post
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
San Francisco, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

By first time backpacking, I meant backpacking through the country, especially in Latin America. I have done quite a bit of hiking here in the states and a few backpacking trips before. Including a 5 day backpacking through national park in New Zealand. My partner on the other hand, has not backpacked before, but done quite a bit of hiking.. :( So, you think this is too much to take up? Would love to hear your view.

We are keeping the option of going to Drake bay and taking a boat in.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Corcovado late November

If you hired a guide and could handle hiking in the rain I'd say go for it, but this sounds like it could turn into a disaster.

Traveling at the end of Nov., beginning of Dec is the tail end of rainy season and I would not do this hike at this time of year given the high chance of rain. If you're up for camping (under a roof) and can book meals in advance at the ranger station I'd just pick a lodge in Drake Bay for the 1st and last nite and spend an overnite in Drake Bay, going in and out by boat.

I really don't think it's worth the hike unless you have a guide as the wildlife is not all that easy to find. Besides the hike requires you to ford 3 rivers and that's not as easy as it sounds if you hit high tide with all your gear. I freaked out at the caimans in the water but the bull sharks are supposed to be a bigger hazard except at low tide.

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park