We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost in Corcovado National Park

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lost in Corcovado National Park

A group of 4 has been lost in the park for over a week. The group entered at La Leona Ranger Station without a guide. The park rangers have been searching for the group for the past 6 days and are gathering additional volunteers to assist in the search.

While the park does allow hiking without a guide in some areas, please be aware that this is not just another "walk in the park" and that you should be an experienced jungle hiker to make the hike without someone who knows the trails. Much of the trail is unmarked and without knowing the trails it is possible to get turned around and lost in the forest, or to mis-judge the river and tides.

I pray that these 4 people are found alive and without too much harm, but now after more than a week, it's getting harder to hold hope for them.

Please everyone, be safe in the jungle.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

Thanks for the warning, Ballardo. A good reminder that there are valid reasons for using guides in a Park such as Corcovado. Please....... be safe, people.

And we will hope for the best for those that are lost. Perhaps they will be found safe, alive, hungry and riddled with mosquito bites!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,008 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

Holy cow Jaguar! I must have missed that, no news about that I have seen. Good advice to travelers, be safe, be smart. Corcovado is not a cake walk by any stretch. Let's pray they make it back out. Thanks for warning folks and posting the news. Please keep the forum updated on any developments.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

It's also kind of aggravating that scarce resources are being used to try and find these people. But -- everyone will pitch in and I am sure lots of volunteers will be helping. Fingers crossed........

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,008 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

I have been thinking about this since I read it... It would be great if there was something in place that gave travelers a gps token when entering the park... It would not be expensive to implement, and it would ensure this sort of thing never happens. Every year there is a story or 2 of someone going missing somewhere. I seem to recall a young man going missing in the Rincon area not too long ago, as far as I know he never turned up...

With a gps token you could find missing hikers in no time. An added layer of protection for those that go out on their own. It would not need to be fancy, not a full gps system, just a token that beams your location... All licensed guides could have one issued and in some of the more remote park systems it could be required if you enter alone...

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

How many times do we see people expressing an interest in going without a guide in order to save a few bucks?

Hopefully they wound up hiking out without anyone noticing. A week in that heat without fresh water does not leave much room for hope.

Honestly, I think they should require guides for all that hike in the park. The La Leona trail is supposed to be the easier one to follow--just follow the coast.--and this still happened.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

WOW...that is terrible...but agree with RACANDEE...how many times people think that Osa is like Disneyland...no way Jose is the real thing...I will have them in my prayers...

roadadvisor

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

Incabod, I think your idea about a token is great, especially for hikers who do not know the trails.

Hattie, yes, many human resources are being used in the search, both government paid rangers and people like myself who volunteer to help. (I'm not actively helping on this search, but I have assisted in search and rescue in the past.)

I wish more travelers would understand the big picture about choosing to hike in the jungle without knowing the unmarked trails.

Prayers for the 4.

Ballardo

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,720 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

It was my understanding that a guide is obligatory if hiking into the park. Now I wish it would be. I hope lost persons will be found alive. My thoughts are with them.

And if the authorities then will decide that using a guide is obligatory for entering the park, I will support them 100%.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

We were there last year for 2 nights and would not hike without a guide. It can be a dangerous place! We were told that the week before we were there an American guy died from dehydration hiking out of the park.

Prayers for them

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost in Corcovado National Park

I don't want to come to any conclusions till i read more but am wondering why this hasn't been in the news..

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park