We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip To Sirena

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip To Sirena

I'm planning on taking a day trip to Corcovado in June. Was thinking of flying in to Sirena early in the morning around 7:30 via private charter. I'd like to hike all day and see as much wildlife as possible spending the night somewhere for an early return flight to SJO the next day.

How is the hike from Sirena to Los Patos in-terms of difficulty, duration etc.? Once in Los Patos can I 4wd back to PJ? Would like to go with a guide as well. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much for the help.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

Not doable with only 1 overnight; hiking from La Sirena to Los Patos is between 6-8 hrs, then there is transport to Puerto Jimenez. You will need to sleep at La Sirena one night, and in PJ the second night.

Arrange your trip through one of the local tour companies (like Surcos Tours) for permits and guide. It will be an expensive 1-day visit to Corcovado.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

Where would you be flying from? Flying into Sirena from San Jose isn't an option.

Here's the most compact option available to you for a full day of seeing wildlife there:

Day 1: Fly into Drake Bay, get settled in,

Day 2: Boat or LOCAL (as in based in Osa--only four seats) charter flight into Sirena, return at end of day by similar means to Drake Bay

Day 3: Fly back to San Jose from Drake

Corcovado is a day trip from Drake Bay (boat or plane) or Puerto Jimenez ( plane only. Nowhere else.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

I was assuming she/he will use Alfa Romeo for La Sirena flight, and either Sansa or nature air from PJ. Might be wrong.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

Thanks for the responses. Here is my potential itinerary:

Fly from SJO to PJ via Sansa Air and arrive @ 6:30 AM.

Charter flight (Alfa Romeo) flight from PJ to Sirena and begin hike to Los Patos @ 7:00 AM.

Finish hike to Los Patos by 3:00 PM.

Return from Los Patos to PJ by 4wd taxi.

Fly back from PJ to SJO next morning.

Does this sound doable? If so, can you recommend a good guide and or PJ lodge that could arrange this for me?

Thanks so much,

-- Brian

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

For a guide, I highly recommend Surcos ToursI I just did a 3D/2N trip with them last week, used Nito and he was amazing! They are very quick in responding to your emails so any questions will be answered right away.

For a lodge in PJ, I stayed in Cabinas Jimenez and thoroughly liked it. For $35 a night for a simple room, it was perfect to stay before and after my hike.

When I did the hike and asked about Los Patos, our guide had said it's the hardest trail in the park and one he doesn't recommend to most people.

Due to river crossings, the walks depend on high tide. Starting at 7am from Sirena is a little late - most groups, including mine, left latest at 6am when we had to head back to PJ. Even by then, the river was already at our waist.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

Physically not possible--there are no taxis at Los Patos. You would have to hike an additional three hours to the town of Las Palmas, after walking 17 KM from Sirena to Los Patos. Even if it were physically possible, even if everything goes exactly right, it;'s not something I would ever recommend to anyone. Dropping $1000 for one really punishing 10 hour hike during the rainy season is just plain nuts.

Also consider that weather could completely destroy those plans by causing flight delays/cancellations--during the rainy season in Corcovado this is not a remote risk.

We loved our time in Corcovado--spent two nights at Sirena ranger station, but this is going about it all wrong. Give it the time it deserves--it is not a day trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

Sorry but I'm on the same page as racandee. This is squeezing too much into too little time with no time available to even hang out and enjoy the wildlife. Far better to just fly into PJ and take a dayhike with one of the guides into rainforest areas outside the park, maybe Cabo Matapalo or the Golfo Dulce Forest Reserve or Iguana Lodge's Double Black Diamond Kickass Killer Hike.

surcostours.com/tours#matapalo-rain-forest

www.osaaventura.com/campesino-tours.php

iguanalodge.com/adventures/junglehiking.php

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

Wanted to thank you all for the responses. I think I am going to fly into PJ early morning, have Surcos arrange a transport to Carate and do the La Leona to Sirena day hike with a Surcos guide and overnight at Sirena ranger station. Will wake up early the next morning to do some dawn/early morning hiking around Sirena and then charter back to PJ.

Perhaps that may be a little more doable then my previous itinerary.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

Doable it is, but for what cost?! Anyway, your money so enjoy the morning hike. I wish you all the great sightings in the area!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip To Sirena

Though certainly not a conventional approach, that's certainly more doable. Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park